12/2/10

Snowing again....

Well, I guess this snow is here to stay,  along with VERY cold temps.   It is expected to continue (do you hear my excitement).  High tomorrow-22.   An elderly German lady told me today, " When the North Winds come this early, it is a sign of a hard winter."  hmmm....I don't remember signing a contract about the weather???  I love it except for having to learn to drive around in this snow and ice (they don't clean all of the streets) Jason asked Karina, " how did mommy drive today?  Karina answered, "Excellent"  (Funny because the whole time I was driving she kept saying, "mommy please don't crash us into things")  So, we now have a new rule ....NO TALKING WHEN MOMMY IS DRIVING.  My lesson to the kids-even mommies are scared of some things but just have to work thru their fears. Yes...I am still scared to drive, but tomorrow is just another snow filled day.

Kids were excited to go to their school this morning and to meet their teachers.  The school is fantastic.  Jason and I both were blown away.  They even have a special needs assistant that will be Karina's "special" friend through out her transition and check on her throughout the day.  We owe a big thanks to Children's for writing a letter to ISS explaining Karina's 'Selective Mutism' in a way that will help her transition AND continue her progress.  Both seemed to like their teachers, the library, playground.  However, neither seemed to like the fact they have to wear PE outfits two days of the week (my little Southern Belle).  I was a little overwhelmed at the list of all of the clothing, supplies and shoes I need to buy prior to Monday.....All types of snow gear and even a SLED!  Yep, they take their own sled to school. The sledding I witnessed on the playground would not be allowed in Alabama (if there were snow) due to liability....I envision great things for Cooper on that playground. 

Things I want to remember about today:

McDonald's playground
Winter Wonderland on Rocky's walk
  • When I took Rocky for his walk this morning, it was like a winter wonderland you see in the old Christmas movies.  
  • Karina running to me so excited, "mommy, they have playdough in Germany because I saw it on tv"
  • lunch at McDonalds(only place I knew how to drive to on the Autobahn -amazing how those big yellow arches stand out) 
  • Cooper asked, "why are there only mommies and daddy's in this McDonalds (it was lunch hour)
  • Kids weren't sure what to think of the couple kissing without coming up for air in the corner booth-neither was I for that matter.
  • salad as a side with the happy meal instead of fries,  a high tech play area, I ate shrimp for lunch-at Mcdonalds. 
  • Jason telling me, " Honey, I am so proud of you for driving and you ordered in Mcdonalds all by yourself"  My response, " Jason, all I had to say was, two hamburgers and sprite"
  • Cooper waving to all the old women in the OBI store and them speaking to German to him in response. He has learned how to work the women here in Germany-shouldn't surprise any of us.   His German answer to them-A BIG COOPER SMILE.  I swear he has learned that everyone will give him candy if he is nice.  (How's that for a child that told me 3 months ago, " I WILL NOT SPEAK GERMANY"
  • Karina eating two Bratwurst for breakfast and at the same time asking me if Grapefruit was an animal because she wouldn't eat an animal.....I just kept chuggin my coffee to keep from laughing.
  • Overhearing Cooper and Karina in their room"Cooper, let's pretend were mommy and daddy drinking wine" Karina, "or let's pretend were drinking cafeine"
  • Overhearing C and K in their room, "Karina, Can God see thru beds?" Karina, "yes Cooper" Cooper, " So i have to clean up my toys"
  • Cooper insisting they need a Christmas tree in their hotel room since mommy forgot to put theirs on the boat. (yes, I am proud to say, I found a store with 5 inch Christmas trees)
  • Rocky AGAIN grabbing fallen apples during our walk, throwing them in the snow and literally jumping in the snow trying to find them...snow is too deep and he can't find the ones he threw.  
  • Kids and I ate at the Marriott hotel tonight because Jason had to go buy our vaccuem. Karina decided she wanted the "German Soup" for dinner-Go figure.  She slurped that soup and then asked me if she could get the last drop with the grain bread they brought us.  Cooper ate Chicken nuggets-  Really they are little schnitzels...smart marketing.  
  • Swimming in the pool tonight at the Marriott then all of getting in the steam room to warm up-ha- we were cold in the indoor pool. (or maybe that was just me...)
Tomorrow and Friday the movers are bringing our container.  It will be fun to move in the house but sad to give up these wonderful breakfasts, nice indoor swimming pool, and the best for me...so muc socializing in the lobby-the hard life. I guess Cooper has the best outlook about the next two days..."Finally, my Stars Wars swords will be home"

1 comment:

  1. Hey there! just posted a comment and then read through it and saw it was full of typos.:) Anyway, you are doing a fantastic job!! I think I forgot what snow even looked lke until I looked at your pictures.:) It is so hot here in Lagos, I have been taking the kids to the pool everyday.:) I am so happy you all made it and are safe and that your container arrived.:) It is always such a good feeling when your container arrives with your stuff to make your new home feel more like "your home".:) You are doing a great job with your blogging. Love all the little things you include that you want to remember.:) I'll be checking in often!!! Can't wait to see you in April!!!:) love,m:)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>