12/5/10

Stuttgartee Weihnachtemarkt (Christmas Market in Stuttgart)

So, I didn't have the energy to post about Christmas Market last night.  I decided to get the kids out of the house from all of the unpacking yesterday.  So around 5:30 we were off to catch the U-Bahn to head downtown.  Jason had to stay behind because the "Cable Guy" was still wiring our house.  It was the kids first train ride and my first train ticket mistake ( I misunderstood the German and bought them 4 tickets!)  They were so mesmerized by the train.  My little Karina was a walking zombie and  Cooper was waving to everyone on the train! Then once I figured out how to get out of the train station and I was mesmerized by all the Christmas lights etc., in TRUE Cooper fashion says, "momma, I have to go potty."  Well, the only WC was back inside the train station (think Grand Central in NYC)  AND it was one that you had to pay.  The man working the WC didn't speak English and I never spoke "potty" in German.  I was trying to get Cooper to go by himself so I didn't have to pay for all of us. Finally the man in stern German, told Cooper and Karina to duck under the turn-stall and for me to pay for only 1.  (I will never again complain about Cooper's Potty antics in Target)  Well, there is also something to be said when the non-experienced people from Alabama are dressed like a snowman and have to figure out going "potty" in a  public WC.....Time for GLUEHWEIN! 

Once we were back above ground and I took a few deep breaths, we enjoyed the Market.  I took the kids on there first ferris wheel ride which looked like Christmas balls, they witnessed there first "real" ice skating rink (playing Bing Crosby-White Christmas I might add) and watched the huge train model until daddy arrived.  Once Jason arrived, Mommy started begging for some Gluehwein, Karina started begging for food and Cooper for hot chocolate.  Plus we were frozen. Our hero, Jason, goes to buy us various options of food, (Maultaschen, Pomme Frittes, veggie penne and Rotwurst) Of course the kids tried to say they didn't like any....until I blew a gasket and said, "well, then y'all are just going to starve in Germany cause I am tired of trying to find things you like."  Funny how they loved the Rotwurst after that little outburst of mine.  I will admit, it had been a long day for all of us, plus it was very cold and probably overwhelming for the kids.  I finally got my Gluehwein and chilled out-literally-warmed up. 

Tonight we are staying in the hotel again.  Jason thought the house was still too chaotic for kids...aka-'our cable didn't get the SEC or Oregon game and the hotel tv did:)  Also, notice the picture with the dogs in our room.  Rocky made some friends at breakfast.  They stayed in our room for a bit this morning to play-not sure who had more fun-Cooper or Rocky.

Walking to U-Bahn station from house

First U-Bahn ride

WC-notice turn-stall

Christmas market

they loved looking at cookie at Market

First Ferris Wheel ride


Listening to Bing while watching ice skaters
They have little rides like this everywhere for "Kinder"

Rocky made new friends at the hotel.

1 comment:

  1. Please believe me when I tell you that I'm laughing with you and not AT you. Wow! You are one of the bravest women I know. If I had to pay each time the kids went to the potty we'd be on food stamps. At the ENT yesterday I counted six trips. I'm with the kids on Rotwurst. Perhaps renaming it would help? Something like yumworst or freshworst? Don't take "stern German" personally. It's just the culture. It's not directed at you (except maybe in the grocery store). Goodness I miss you! I'm having a cup of monkey tea right now while I'm laughing with you.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>