12/20/10

That charm is trying to disappear today

Hmmm....I am second thinking that 'Europe charm' I wrote about yesterday.  I think maybe it is more the charm of Jason being with us on the weekend.  He speaks fluent German, knows the short routes everywhere and can drive in snow very well.  I have read the paperwork they gave us that it takes a while to get used to the cultural change....well, I love the culture, just not the driving in the snow.  Today started out great....it had rained and cleaned most of the snow away.  I never thought I would say I was glad the snow was gone.  I really love the snow, so fresh, white and fun.  But, I DO NOT like driving in the snow or ICE. They don't allow chains on tires here AND can't keep the roads clean with the amount of snow that falls all day.  This leads to me sliding and working my self into a pure sickness by the time I get to the kids school.  I can't even describe the amount of snow we have had since we moved here.  Of course, tomorrow I will love the snow again.  I drove the kids to school at the REAL speed limit.  I couldn't believe how fast we got there today.

Cooper's class did a little Christmas story for us

Cooper's handmade Christmas present to Jason and I

It was Cooper's Christmas party, so I stayed for about 1 1/2 hours.  When I came out there was probably already a 1/2 foot that had fallen.
How could this happen so fast-Yikes! (and it is still falling tonight)
The roads were awful.  Anyway, I will stop while I am ahead.  Let's just say, they were so bad, when Karina told me her ear hurt really bad, I found a new pediatrician near our house.  I pulled her on the sled all the way to the doctor rather than risk it again on the snow/ice covered streets.  (all while trying to make Cooper quit jumping on her thinking it was time to play on the sled)

Pulling Karina to the doctor
So, here is the kinda funny.  Karina has the same ear problem I had prior to leaving for Germany.  They prescribed me Hydrocodone.  The doctor today prescribed Karina Chamomile Tea with honey. Before you think I took her to some hole in the wall, the medial world is of much different mind here.  I am trying to keep an open mind, because who says all this medicine we take is good.  I will say this though, her tears dried up in about 20 minutes after I gave her a dose from our much guarded stash of Children's IBprofen.  At that point, I just couldn't bring myself to pull a sled all the way to the market to buy the honey and tea.  Glad we listened to our friends and brought our stash of drugs.

I am sure the charm will return tomorrow.  On a side note, when we were getting Karina back on the sled, a women walking by said, "Wo ist Rocky" (Where is Rocky).  I had no idea who she was and was so worn out from my day of driving, couldn't even speak German.  My answer, "at home, dogs can't go to the doctor"

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>