1/29/11





 Jason and I have been hiking running thru the surrounding Forests around our house since we moved here.  It is both of our favorite place to run (and Rocky's) because of the unbelievable beuaty and peacefulness.  Today we decided to do what many German families seem to do on the weekend......

...Go for a family hike in the Forest.  I continue to be amazed by the amount of people of ALL AGES that are always out hiking thru the Forest.  And let me make this clear, it isn't some little ole tree covered patch of ground.... It is a FOREST as in Robin Hood.....as in there is space enough for anyone (and especially me) to get lost. There are numerous paths which crisscross all thru the trees around streams, uphills and back down.  Within this particular forest, every few km is a sign giving various information about the area.  I have never been able to fully translate these signs, but thankfully, I had Jason today.  As he translated one of the signs, I couldn't help but to feel somber.  He was reading to us how this big hole we were standing in front of,  was formed by a bomb in WWII.  The sign explained how they are finding new pieces of these bombs every year and asked to please not take any findings as a souvenirs. (picture at the end of post ) ( I will not write about this now, but living in a town where the families were impacted so heavily from the war and  beginning to hear personal bits and pieces is very emotional.  This topic will be saved for much later in our years here in Germany.)

So now for a funny side note at my own expense, I thought many of the "elder" adults carried walking sticks in the Forest so they wouldn't slip on the ice and snow.  I recently was told by my friend as she was laughing, that they are actually called, "stick-walkers" or "Nordic walkers".  It is a huge sport here in Germany.  I couldn't take a picture of any of these walkers to show you because they are in great shape and could kick my butt if they didn't like me taking a random picture of them!  Another funny today, (at the kids expense) We were walking under a large patch of 80-100 foot tall pine trees, or as Cooper says, walking on the "dark side" of the Forest.  All of a sudden the kids start excitedly yelling, "look a playground"!!  I guess they are getting used to playgrounds popping up every few feet now.  When Jason and I looked closer, we both began laughing--they were climbing on the hunting stands!  We didn't have the heart to tell them they weren't playgrounds!!! 


Germans seem to have a deep respect and passion for their Forests.  There is information everywhere about all the purposes a forest serves-water reservoirs and fresh air reposites, to list a few.  It definitely served a purpose for us today, we got a chance to spend a great day together as a family!
Jason and Karina

Who could ask for a better way to DE-thaw after our hike than a hot bubble bath, Andre Bocelli  playing, a glass of red wine, Jason cooking dinner and relaxation two kids crawling in with me.  Jason had a nice fire going when we emerged and Cooper decided we should have a picnic.  What a great way to end the perfect day!
Peace...

One of many Forests near our house

streams are so cold-Rocky won't go in..

Signs along the path
Add caption





Sign Jason translated for us....

standing in the hole

1 comment:

  1. The forests are amazing....I am still amazed at how much snow there is there....hard to remember it is so cold in other parts of the world;). It looks like you all had a lovely day together.:)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>