1/7/11

Are you from England????

Wow, this is hard writing my blog tonight because I feel the pressure of having to "top that one".  I was on Skype with my friend, Christine, and she even suggested I start including the word "naked" to all my blogs.  HA!  I really enjoyed getting so much feedback from yesterdays blog. I think the thought of me naked was really funny for most people...well for all people based on the emails.   It was fun getting so much feedback....I am learning when you write a blog, you are always providing the information of what is going on in your life, but don't always recieve the same information back.  This is NOT a knock on anyone, it is just a fact.  I do love writing my blog and have since 2007. But it is even more fun now especially when our German friends call Jason and say THEY think the blog is funny. 
My little corner under the Brella

So, Now I am writing a typical blog post...back to boring...   I'm writing this post following my theme, once again, " do as the Romans"... I am sitting at a cafe, outside, in the cold rain under a Corner of an umbrella.  (Jason has taken the kids to the English movie theater to see "Tangled")   I decided to take the train downtown in search of the "English" store.  I read about this store in some of my cultural transition paperwork. Today I was in search of 'American Birthday invitations' for my party I am planning. I thought it would be fun to invite all my new friends over for champagne and cupcakes to celebrate with me.  Especially since the German tradition is to host your own birthday.  Note to self- Do Not under any circumstance try to be pretty  (straightening hair and wearing high heel boots) when walking 20 blocks in the rain. (DIVERSION---on that note Jason can not understand why I don't just drive our car places and insist on riding the train so much when we have a company car sitting in our garage)  Both my Google Map App and my Umbrella got a lot of use walking thru the wet city alley streets, but, I finally found the shop. I walked in and was immediately mezmorized by the first thing I see-- a Scotch Whiskey Tasting Bar.  Hmmm- I didn't know Scotch was that big in the U.S?!?!?   I walk around for a bit (I am ashamed to admit how long I walked around) and it finally dawns on this thick head "English" does not refer to the language but rather the country. Which brings up another interesting....

Today I had to laugh when I was asked, once again asked, " Are you from England"  I'm laughing because prior to moving to Germany, I don't think I have ever had my Southern accent considered Proper English.  I always take a deep breath after asked this because I KNOW what is coming next... I have also had more renditions of "Sweet Home Alabama" sung to me than  I heard on the radio while living in Alabama.  Here is how one of these conversation typically go :
Them-Are you from England?
Me-No, U.S.-Alabama
Them-OHHHH, I KNOW Alabama,  (singing begins with a German accent), "Sweeeeet Home Alabama-where skies are blue"
Me-stand there and smile (imagine, "just smile and wave")

So, as I have been sitting under my little umbrella corner, with sprinkles of rain hitting my nicely straightend hair, just now being noticed by the waiter, I have decided to change my Cappuccino order to "Ich möchte ein glass rot wein, bitte"....naked.

2 comments:

  1. I know that store! I have even shopped their before when I hosted an English breakfast for my friends. I needed bacon!
    I am not surprised about the question:Are you English? because England is so close and we learn British English in our schools.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute post today!:) I totally agree...it is like everyone knows what is happening with you...and when I go back home..I don't know what is happening in other people's lives.:) the kids and I are heading back to Nigeria on Jan. 22 ...Guy went back on the 3rd.:) Take care!!! Keep up the great work!!! love,m:)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>