1/28/11

Fresh Market Day

It is Friday....this brings joy to me in many ways ---like knowing I can sleep past 6:15 in the morning, having an extra set of hands to help manage the kids energy for the next two days, but the BEST thing about die Frietage.....FRESH MARKET DAY in Sillenbuch.  Every town has it's own  "Außer Stadtbezirke" on certain days of the week.  Sillenbuch's is always on Fridays and is only a 10 minute walk from the house.  When we first arrived here, we were given a book, "Lust auf Frisches-Direktvermarkter in Stuttgart" which lists all the local farms from which you can buy directly items such as,  vegetables, eggs, fruit, milk, wine, potatoes, flowers...you get the picture.  If you aren't able to make it to them, they come to your area one day a week.  I have found food to be very fresh here in Germany (as in straight from the source) and you pretty much have to shop daily.  That isn't because I like to shop everyday, it is because our refrigerator is the size of a Coleman cooler.  However, I have enjoyed the freshness of the meals we eat....and yes, there is a HUGE difference. 

I had Guests coming over for afternoon Tea today and was on a mission for something sweet to serve with the Tea.  The family run Bakery that is at the fresh market always has the most divine looking breads and cakes that yell, "BUY ME" every time I walk past.  Today I was brave enough to venture out of my norm of ordering and asked, "was ist süß und ist gut mit Tee?" (What is sweet and good with Tea) The Baker pointed to an interesting looking cake, told me what it was (which I didn't understand a word of) and told me his mother always had this cake with her Tea.  If it is good enough for a mother, it is good enough for my guests today. (My German guests explained that it was not a coffee cake, but rather a poppyseed cake) I decided to buy Jason a big "Stück" (piece) of Apple pie which was more like a strudel, his favorite....until he bit into it tonight and realized that they had also added raisins.  Oops...I guess that was the word I didn't understand.   
Fresh cheese

Fresh olives and goat cheese

Fresh olives-I bought ones stuffed with almonds today

Once you taste this fresh...you can never go back!


Tons of fresh flowers

Butcher

Produce

you pick out a carton, then pick your eggs...

Poultry

2 comments:

  1. The market looks awesome!!! I LOVE the flowers.:) I hope you had a great tea this afternoon:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mouth is watering! Fresh olives? Yum.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>