1/20/11

I fell for it....

Spring fever....

You buy your dirt and put it in your own bucket

I thought spring was around the corner.  We had gorgeous weather we had for the past week some days it was almost 49 degrees (F).  Everyone was outside working in their gardens and beating their rugs.  That means spring...right?!?  I even went to a flower shop to buy some
Pansies because when you have spring fever...plant some flowers.  While at the Garden shop, I was amazed to find another type of efficiency that doesn't create trash.  You buy a bucket then fill it with the potting soil you need.  Then, you just keep bringing your bucket back when you need soil.  NO plastic bag. So now in addition to my stash of cloth shopping bags, I now also have a brand new black bucket. 

After helping me understand how to purchase my "trash free" soil, the Garden lady glanced into my basket and then insisted that I should not buy the pansies.  "Why?" I asked, "they grow great in the winter".  She answered, "but the hard winter is not good a time for these, and we haven't had the hard winter yet."  Ummmm..WAIT A MINUTE, Can you repeat that....We haven't had the hard winter yet?  I thought the past 6 weeks were pretty hard and  felt cold to me.  Well, turns out she was right.  Twenty four hours after that conversation, it is snowing again and I am freezing my tush off.  I am learning what a real winter is like and I think I'll save the pansies for an Alabama "winter".


After planting my 3 herbs that like cold weather (I just had to plant something), the kids and I headed off to the Puppet Show. It is so nice to have most things within walking (or scooter riding) distance.   I saw the poster during one of my runs and thought it would be great for the kids.  Little did I know they would want me to translate the whole hour long play.  I have to say, I got a little creative with some of my translating.  Turns out this is a very well known children's book here which means soon they will know my German is not always accurate. 
Riding scooters to the play

1 comment:

  1. hey there! Bless your heart!!!! I grew up in Illinois and thought I knew what winter was...but I now know that I don't after reading your blog.:) I hope you read my comment on your previous blog...living over there is NOT a vacation and I also had many friends telling me to enjoy my vacation also when we moved overseas...it is very hard living in a new country and learning a new culture and I think you are doing a great job! love,m:)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>