1/16/11

On the Road Again......

I LOVE my run on the weekends here...I don't have Rocky on my these runs (Jason takes him for a 4 miler each Saturday and Sunday).  I don't have 60 pounds pulling me in every direction, therefore, I am able to carry my phone, a.k.a, Map/camera.   I tie my shoes, turn on my I-phone navi to begin my treasure hunt.  I wind my way on all the numerous weaving sidewalks running through the little towns.  I have learned now this is the best way to discover the restaurants, shops, playgrounds, and many hidden surprises.

You see, here in Germany forget trying to use google as your primary information source. Unless it is a BIG store and more than likely a touristy place, you just aren't going to find your spot via google. "So what", you ask.....Well, if you are accustomed to letting billboards or large fluorescent signs help guide you to your best meal of a lifetime or the best sale at a store, then you are headed for trouble here. When I recently asked my friend, "how did you hear about that restaurant?" she responded, "the newspaper".  (oh that thing that is in my mailbox once a week I can't yet read....)  It seems you find restaurants, shops, the specialty Bakery, vets, produce stores and all others via word of mouth or newspaper. It is just amazing to me how a fabulous restaurant can be tucked away in between houses, around winding roads and not easily seen. It is a HUGE difference from the US. When we first arrived here, I was so frustrated not being able to "google" to find a great restaurant and its reviews.  I have also had a hard time finding the where certain types of stores are located.  There are really no "mega stores" (target, walmart) here.  Instead, they have quaint private owned stores where they really do like to help you.

I have finally found my answer....I go on an hour long run on the weekends with my I-phone map and camera to search for all the hidden gems. I think Jason tries to hide when I get home from these runs, because he knows I will have a camera full of pictures that need translating.  So far my best discoveries were: A swimming pool near our house for the summer, a donation bin (very hard to donate items here), bike repair shop, Italian restaurant, a neighborhood Beer Garten with a huge playground, a running creek on a hiking trail, Eis Cream shop and always a new PLAYGROUND.  These are the most amazing thing because they pop up in the middle of nowhere only seconds since I spotted the last one.  I have included a few pictures from my runs of the various treasures I have found. I also now noticed that I tend to mix my German words in without thinking on my blog....Eis=ice, Garten=garden.
German restaurant tucked away

playground

Another playground-these rope trees are great

Still not sure


another playground

winding sidewalks...

dog playground?


another zip line


recycled playground

trampoline at a playground

This playground was really hidden

idea of all the winding sidewalks
They take these to the zoo for the elephants..
I found where to "dispose" of our Christmas tree on a run

Italian restaurant

found a puppet show

1 comment:

  1. that is so neat to have all the different playgrounds so close by.:) also, kudos to you for going on your long runs!!!! maybe you can work out for me ,too!!! ha ha!! love,m:)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>