1/11/11

"To Learn a language is to learn a culture"

Today after my German lesson, I walked to the DryCleaners to pick-up my coat.  As I walked in, the man started saying, "Frau Hoff......lkdajdlkajeoirjekrjeoijao;dijfahroeuithoihaosduho (well that is how my brain heard it) Are you kidding...I just understood most of what my German teacher was saying during our 2 hour plus lesson, what is wrong with my brain.  I could not understand a word. As I closed my eyes to conjour up my German vocabulary, ( a bad habit I have developed) the father called his son out front to translate.  The son came out and said, "My Pappa says now your coat glitters clean" and then continued to add nicely, "a white coat may not be such a good idea in Germany with all of the snow and dirt"  I looked at him and smiled as I responded, (in German) "But this white coat will bring you much money."(I had already figured out our first two days here my new white coat was a bad idea)  Then he surprised me when he responded back, "Not many of the Americans we have done work for learn how to speak German while living here, my father says you are speaking good German and to continue because "To learn a language, is to learn a culture." "

I can not help but to continue to ponder this statement as it has really made me think about all aspects of different cultures and what they mean to the people living in Europe.    It is very true how much you miss if you do not understand the language.  Today, during my German lesson my teacher mirrored this thought when she said, "the history of the land plays a big part of the language." It is hard for me to grasp since I come from a land that is only a little over 200 years. My land has not had the history of more than a thousand of years of war and diversity. 

My hunger to learn the German language grew even more today......and to think I had thought it was all just words......

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That comment about learning a language is to learn a culture is really true.:) it is hard to understand what people are saying in Nigeria...and the "official" language is English. But, they do speak over 400 dialects there. I can hardly understand when most Nigerians are talking to me either because they are speaking more of a British English, their accent or they really are speaking a village dialect that I would probably never understand. You are doing a great job learning German!! love,m:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ja wohl, meine kinde. Du bist so smart. l.d

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am confident that you will be fluent by the time you return.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are doing a wonderful job! Keep up the good work. Connie

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>