2/8/11

Honored!


A few weeks ago, it was suggested I submit “Alabama (Germany) Hoff House” to the website “GO! Overseas”.  I hesitated because I feel so “young” in this big world of blogging.  (Not to mention the criteria that stated “relatively error free and grammatically correct”) When I looked at their website, I noticed and began to follow the blog "http://www.noordinaryhomestead.com/expat-life/" .  I decided to send this very well read blog author an email begging for advice at the risk of being thought crazy.  I was  skeptical of this big ole' blogging world and if it was really "safe" since I don't know all these people that are reading my blog.  In true Southern fashion, since she is also a Southern girl from the U.S.,  she was quick to send me a very detailed email with tons of advice. (not that "non-southern folks would not have!!!! )

Posting to the blog has developed into a passion I had not planned.  Writing has also become an important part of me since our move to Germany.  Some days, my blog is my best friend…. I can’t wait to meet “her” at night when I open my computer.  As Jason is putting the kids to sleep and I am writing my posts, I am assured that ‘Indeed, all of the incredible things we experienced WERE REAL!”.  Yes, I know I have been writing and posting about our lives for almost five years, but I am sure it was neither ‘entertaining’ nor ‘informative’ for others.  My VERY favorite thing about ‘Alabama (Germany) Hoff House’….to be told that it has made someone laugh out loud (even at my own expense)  I continue to be surprised when I receive emails with such positive feedback.

I just wasn’t sure if I was ready to subject my blog to a possible rejection?  The criteria for a “Top Blog” on the website read as follows:

Blogs serve as an excellent platform from which to share personal opinions and experiences. As a leader in the global travel community, GO! Overseas takes our commitment to screen quality and relevant blogs for our readers seriously. Users regularly comment on the usefulness of our top blog recommendations in their country of interest. Much can be learned from reading the experiences of others and GO! top blogs help our readers cut through the noise of the internet and head directly to quality and useful content.
Blogs that have been recognized for outstanding content are eligible to display a GO! Overseas Top Blog badge on their homepage.
·       A target audience which goes beyond providing friends and family with updates. Our editorial staff is looking for content which appeals to a wider audience.
·       Content that is relatively error free and grammatically correct.
·       A blog site which engages users on the website and is responsive to regular contact.

GO! Overseas recognizes top blogs in two areas:
·       Individual countries. Generally, we select the top 10 blogs per country, however the number may vary slightly.
·       Topics with an international focus (travel, volunteer, study & teaching, among others).
·        
GO! Overseas editorial staff evaluates blogs with the following criteria:
·       New content is posted at a minimum of once a week.
·       A writing style which is both clear and interesting.
·       A website which is constructed in a manner that provides a user-friendly interface and is maintained regularly.


So, it was with hesitation I wrote an email to the Editor and added a link to our blog. Here is a blurb from my original email.   "It is not a "professional" blog, so I am not sure if it is the type of blog that your reader base is interested in reading.  I thought I would send it anyway because living in another country is an incredible experience and if just one person decides to try based on my blog, I have accomplished something."  
 Today, I almost started jumping up and down like a child when I opened the email from the Editor of Go! Overseas, which in part read,

 “I did enjoy reading through your content and learning more about your adventures abroad in Germany!

I am delighted to inform you that all of our staff agree that your blog definitely deserves to be included in our list of top blogs in Germany. Congratulations! We're confident our users will enjoy reading your content as much as we have.

Your blog have been added here: http://www.gooverseas.com/germany-blogs

You are welcome to display one of the image badges we have created specifically for blogs we feature in Germany. This is an easy way to let your readers know your outstanding content has been recognized

Now, I just have to do a better job of “proofing” after a long day of “living” in a new country. Well, enough blogging for one day-Off  to study what was covered in my German lesson this morning!  
Tschüss!

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for the lovely shout-out and congrats on joining the Go! Overseas ranks.

    Next year you'll have to try to make the WEBMU (Whiney Expat Bloggers Meet Up)-- not that you're doing a lot of whining but because I had the chance to meet quite a few other expat bloggers last October which was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's truly an awesome accomplishment, Kirstin - Congratulations, you ROCK!!! Really, I love your BLOG, it is so funny and entertaining, and very true ... Most often I can so relate to you, because that is exactly what we've been going through as German Expats in the U.S.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is wonderful!!! You are able to capture all of your new experiences in Germany so well! keep up the great work.:) love,m:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is absolutely brilliant! And they are right. The information you give is so much more about living in the place rather than visiting. That is what I love the most. Plus, you are so brave and put yourself out there and people respect that a lot, I certainly do! I look forward to checking and reading it every day. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Congratulations Kirstin! You amaze me each and every morning when I read the blog. I wonder how you find the energy to write so eloquently when you have such adventurous days! :) I think the sky is the limit for you my friend! Next stop is the New York Times Best Seller list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations Kristin! I knew it !!!! Didn't I tell you to publish a book once you are back in the States?? Reading your blog became one thing in my daily routine! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wunderbar, meine kinder (or however it is spelled). Wow ! Not enough superlatives to tell you what a great thing this is. Look forward to Face time soon to hear more.
    l.d

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so happy for you! I've told you a thousand times that your writing style makes me think I'm there with you and, luckily, I know you so well that I can see your facial expressions during your experiences. You're one of my favorite writers. You should be recognized! Miss you terribly and so proud of you.
    P.s. Your Father is talking smack on Words now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. congrats kiri! you more than deserve this honor; i so enjoy reading your blog!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>