2/20/11

Kunstmuseum




Stuttgart 21 Protest
Jason and I decided to have a “date afternoon/evening” today since we had not had our usual “date night” this week.  Our “Welcome to Stuttgart” free train tickets are still valid, so Jason couldn’t protest not taking the car on our outing downtown.  (He is still a teenager when it comes to driving the winding roads at a fast speed)  As we exited the train station, we were surrounded by a large “Stuttgart 21” protest.  Talk about being thankful that we had gone the train route-  Stuttgart 21 protests can make driving downtown very difficult.  Now let’s talk about REAL difficult…finding Jason in the crowd after I wondered off going camera crazy taking pictures of the protest.  (I will post in the future about Stuttgart 21 once I have all my facts and because it is such a heated topic-google if you like....)

Kunstmusuem

exhibition
Steiner
After finding my way back to Jason, we headed to the Kuntsmuseum to explore the “Cosmos Rudolf Steiner” exhibition. My Aunt Irena and Uncle Dennis love to travel the world and "site see" .  I could probably just use them rather than my multitude of travel books!   After reading about the exhibition (in New Hampshire, U.S.) they suggested we visit the exhibition. (No telling what new sites they will show me here in Stuttgart during their July visit!)  http://www.kunstmuseum-stuttgart.de/  Rudolf Steiner was a major turn of the Century Philosopher with special ties to Stuttgart.  You probably know of him as the founder of the Waldorf Education system.  But I learned today, this was only one of MANY things he had a cultural influence on in the 20th century.   
Good to know my brain is still learning...I worry some days.  I am not sure which was better, the exhibition or the views of the city as we climbed each floor of the glass museum.  I would recommend buying an admission ticket just for the views!  Or even better, you could go to the restaurant, CUBE, on the top floor of the Museum.  But that wasn’t in our plan tonight...


our chairs and blankets as we left
After so much education, we needed a walk.  So we walked right on over to Scholz (remember this little hot spot from a previous post) If you are in Alabama reading this in your 75 degree February weather, be prepared to think we are crazy.  We decided to join the crowd sitting at the outside tables.  Why not, it was only in the mid 30s, and blankets were provided.  When we were ordering our pre-dinner drinks, I decided to use the ol’ mind over matter trick-If I order a Mojito, my mind will think I am some place warm.  As I pulled my scarf higher around my neck I realized the “mind” was not winning at this matter.  However, the ‘people watching’ was great.  As usual, when I am at peace, I started reflecting about how much has changed for us in the past 4 months.  I mean really…would this Southern girl have ever wanted to sit outside, bundled in a blanket, on a night predicted to have snow, and have a cold drink before dinner? Not only is my brain working, I continue to expand my realms.   

Alte-Kanzlei
We did a little shopping at one of my FAVORITE stores here in Stuttgart, Tritschler(which opened in 1723) before our dinner.  This store has all kinds of nice glassware, all types of specialty kitchenware, as well as  collectibles.  We walked out with two espresso cups to help us on those long afternoons.  We walked quickly to make our 7:30 reservation-not because we were late-because it had turned very cold, very quickly.  We have had a few recommendations for the restaurant, Alte Kanzlei, which is housed in a building from 1544. http://www.alte-kanzlei-stuttgart.de/  Not only was the food good but the indoor seating was quite nice! 

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a great date night...glad you are feeling better!:)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>