2/1/11

Maybe I need to go to English school...

I am going to write a quick post.  I am frantically studying my German in preparation for Thursday's placement test at the new school I hope to attend.  Today was such a funny day in regards to the language challenge....in both English and German.  I am constantly being challenged in both!

The children didn't have school today since it was parent/teacher conference day.  So the kids were home, the dog was sick and our household was 'bustling with energy' (which is a nice way to say chaotic) Add to that,  I had repairmen here at the house from 9:00 a.m.  until 1:00 p.m., (I WILL write a post, after my test, about the HUGE differences in having things repaired here in Germany vs. U.S. ....if my brain still functions)

The funny language lessons I had today....

One set of repairmen pointed to a part of the hot water heater and asked me the English word for this part. I just stared at the hot water heater because I had no idea what it was in any language.  He looks at his assistant and says in German, "maybe she doesn't speak English either"  Ha-maybe he is right since I keep getting lessons from Cooper and Karina..


They both seem to be learning "British English"  They are continuously correcting my pronunciation of words...lately the lessons seem to be on these words "TurTEL (in Southern Ease I say, tuurtlllll), Wa-ter (Again, my Southern ease-War-ter), Flutter (or as I sing...fluhh-tah) Cooper is singing a song with the word flutter and has decided  he doesn't want me to sing with him because I don't pronounce "his heart was all a flutter" correctly.....or maybe it is because I use too many syllables. 

When talking to the Animal Trainer, she asked (in English) "what do you call it when I send together?"  I responded, "send what together?" Her "You know when I send it to you together"  Me- "um, I don't really know" (because I really didn't understand her question.) But I did understand how to ask her if she could speak to 'Repairman number 3' and handed the phone off to him.... because I had no idea what he was asking me even though he was TALKING VERY LOUD SO I WOULD UNDERSTAND.  Unfortunately, I didn't understand her English translation of his question either. 

When Cooper and Karina were having one of their Lovely arguments, I began giving them the lecture #112-being nice to your siblings.  I heard Karina mutter something under her breath and asked her to repeat it out loud if she had something to say.  She responded, "I said, Ich Verstehe"  which translates to "I understand".  I guess she has overheard me say that enough in conversations to be able to use it is a "smartie" way.  o

Tonight when the kids were cleaning their playroom, I overheard Karina say to Cooper, " Mach Schnell"  Go Fast

So I will "Mach Schnell" to go study.  TSCHUSS!

2 comments:

  1. hey there, sorry i haven't checked the blog in a few days....alot been happening over here ( you can check on my blog) ...but it sounds like the kids are picking up German pretty well:) keep up the great work.:) love,m:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, i just got done with the post on my blog..sorry, I am getting your comments...we had to put my dog down today..and I just got done with the post...so it is on the blog now..that was what i was talking about in the earlier comment... take care...and hang in there with the language....you are doing an amazing job.:)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>