2/3/11

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride

I guess there is a little irony in the fact that I received my first speeding ticket in the mail this week and my "welcome to Germany" gift-a free month's subway pass.  



At the end of the day, I pull in our parking space, unbuckle my seat belt, turn off the German radio, pull the door handle, put one foot on the pavement followed by the other, and only then do I take a big ole' deep breath.  It is at this point that I feel like I am exiting "Mr. Toad's Wild Ride" at Disney.  Did I really love this ride as a child??????   I guess the closest thing Cooper and Karina have experienced to MTWR, is "Mom's Wild Ride in Germany".  And, like me as a child, they laugh and hoot during this wild ride as we swerve, dodge, slam on brakes and excelerate from 0 to 200. 

I have made a few points about the differences (A.K.A-DANGERS) of a non-experienced American driving in Germany.  (By the way, there aren't many pictures YET-  I have found it isn't very safe to take pictures while driving :) I will however get Jason to drive me around and show the various signs etc.) 

My Experience Driving in Germany....so far (I am sure there will be many more posts about driving here over the years to come)
  • Some days I feel like I am playing "Mario Kart"  When stopped at a red light, have your foot moderately aggressively pressing the gas pedal. Because as soon as the light goes from  RED to YELLOW to GREEN, the race is on.  If you aren't already at 60 by the time it turns Green you will for sure get a horn blown at you until you make it to 60.  
  • I have learned a new danger to be terrified of...and it isn't snow/ice.  You are driving down the road singing along to a great song, WHEN ALL OF A SUDDEN, OUT OF NOWHERE, COMES THE TRAFFIC REPORT... It is broadcast  ten times louder than any song played.  It still scares me to a swerve.  (Add to the volumn of the radio, two kids screaming "mooooommmmm, turn it down" because they think I turned the radio up.) 
  • Here is the obvious-- if you have ever visited Germany or Italy...Most of the time, you are driving on a little curvy road which seems to have been built for one of Cooper's 'Matchbox' cars.  It is dangerous enough driving on these roads, but then you also have to play a game of "Chicken".  See, when there isn't enough space on the road for you and the oncoming car, someone has to make the decision to go up on the sidewalk or stop to let the other car pass.  I am getting good at this undisclosed German sport.  However, I am waiting for the day my tire blows from jumping on the sidewalk so fast.  
  • Don't expect to see signs with Interstate numbers.  My biggest advice, study your German map.  Exit Signs are always stated in the direction of XYC city.  Even if it is in the upper most part of Germany.  I am learning all the cities near us very quickly!!
  • The biggest challenge I have had as an American (besides reading the German Road signs) is learning to yield to the cars coming from the RIGHT.   You are reading this and thinking, "why is this so hard".  Well, I will tell you.  IF, on the road you are driving, have a little sign with a yellow diamond, you have the right of way to all traffic.  Still sounds easy-Right?  .....Nope, factor in that most four way intersections  don't usually have stop signs, unless it is a "Major road".  Here comes the scary part of this story, I learned this after driving here a whole month. One night I was driving four of my friends home from downtown, as I was passing thru a 'four way' they started shrieking, "stop, stop, stop" I didn't know I was supposed to stop for those cars coming at me.   oops.....
  • There is no "Right on Red"...oops....
  •  Pedestrians ALWAYS have the 'right of way'.  Even if you have the right of way and they jump out of nowhere in front of your car to cross the street .  Maybe this is another undisclosed sport here in Germany.   (Aren't you glad I didn't say "oops" this time)
  • Always be aware of the speed limit, even though you will not always find it posted.  I CAN always seem to find the speed limit signs that tell you what the speed limit IS NOT. (These are a number circled in red with a big line thru them)
  • Don't ever think just because you don't see any "blue lights" hiding behind the bushes, that they don't give you speeding tickets in Germany.  The method for "catchin ya" is much different here and if you ask me another driving hazard.  No uniformed officer strolling up to your car while taking his sunglasses off and asking, "Maam, do you know how fast you were going?"  Nope, here in Germany it goes like this......... you are driving down the road with traffic flow (because you have NO idea what the speed limit is), all of a sudden a BRIGHT WHITE light flashes in your eyes and Blinds you for about 3 seconds. That 3 seconds is quick, but add 5 minutes to that hazard as the white floating dots on your eyeballs are trying to clear up.  Yep, you have been "Geblitzed" which translates to: your picture has been taken by a big camera, sent to the police station, analyzed, and ticketed.  Your letter about your excessive speed of 4.9 mph over the limit will arrive 6 weeks later.   If you ask me, (nobody has yet)  this blinding white light is a BIG driving hazard in Germany!!!!  
With this being said, I think I will study my driving rules tonight rather than my German....  Tschüss !

4 comments:

  1. Hey, sorry about your speeding ticket....I can't imagine driving there! You have such a great attitude about it though! Just think of all the new experiences you are having...good and bad....they help build character!! at least that is what my dad tells me! Ha ha but really, you are doing great! Can't wait to experience it for myself in April.....but i think I will let Guy do the driving.:) love, m:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds just like my driving skills when I first moved to DC. The circles will get you every time when cars n trucks are coming at you and your trying to exit the circle. It's definitely intimidating learning to drive in a crazy place. I had to learn about the flash of white light the hard way. Funny thing is I have lived here for 8yrs and still see that white light from time to time :) Hang in there, you will be the pro driver blowing the horn before you know it!!

    Just be thankful Karina and Cooper don't have to take Driver's Ed there or have their learner's permit! That would be a SCARY RIDE!

    XOXO,

    Cristy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still struggle in Atlanta although you really have to drive twenty miles over the limit to warrant a ticket. I drove ONCE in Bogota, Colombia and realized I did not have the courage - too many donkeys and families of five upon a single motorcycle. The stress was unbearable. You're my hero. And, in other news, I'm starting to suspect your father is Cheating at words with Friends. :) love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not laughing at you, but laughing with you! You have a great attitide Kiri! Keep smiling! :)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>