3/17/11

Frog Legs.....

As I was finishing my run today, I had to slam on brakes and put it in “reverse”.  I often see posters hung around town announcing upcoming events, but this one grabbed my attention!  I had no idea what it read; the one word I did know was in all caps-“VORSICHT” (caution) and it had a picture of a frog carrying another frog.  I was pretty sure it was not advertising an upcoming ‘Frog Gigging expedition’ or a 'Frog-Leg ‘Fry."  I am familiar with both of these and never heard my grandfather say, “CAUTION, I am going Frog Gigging.” or my Grandmother utter, “CAUTION, I am going to fry up some Frog Legs.”  The one time I was around when she cooked this "Southern treat", I'm pretty sure I did use the word 'CAUTION' as I wailed, “Caution, I may throw-up if I have to eat a frog!”  But I did, and yes they tasted like chicken. 
It wasn’t only that one word that caught my attention.  To me, these frogs were a reminder of home.  I loved to sit outside on a hot summer night, after the sun went down and listen to the free concert provided gratuitous by "the Alabama Bullfrogs".  I am pretty sure this poster was not advertising an upcoming Frog concert.  (If you want to hear a sample of such a concert, I included a link- just click on “Hear the Bullfrog Chorus)   http://www.naturesongs.com/otheranimals.html#bfro

Hoping for some clue, I just stood staring at this poster baffled as to what it was ‘advertising’.  No clue came...so I took a quick picture and ran home to ‘google’.  Much to my frustration, my search only provided a translation of the words into English but not much else about 'German Frogs'.  I came up with a better idea; to ask Cooper’s teacher (I am learning teachers know everything!)   

Her answer, “yes, these are wonderful Frogs.  It is the time of year when they cross the road to…get married. This sign is cautioning you not to run over them if they are crossing the road.” 

Actual Sign Translation
vorsicht krötenwanderung” -caution toad migration
“um vorsichtige fahrweise wird gebeten”-to be careful driving is asked

I guess this will have to be one of those “things” I just don’t fully understand, but sure hope they sing loud! 

2 comments:

  1. Hi, it's a common toad.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_toad

    It's the time of year where they start migrating to their breeding grounds. Unfortunately a lot of them are killed on the roads during it.

    There are measures in place to save them, like toad fences and tunnels. But some roads are closed completely.

    http://en.news.maktoob.com/20090000591088/Toad_migration_closes_Freiburg_stadium_exit_road/Article.htm

    http://www.thelocal.de/sci-tech/20090413-18609.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Urrgh, I meant 'when' of course, not 'where'.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>