3/26/11

Food for the Soul



I enjoy constantly being surprised by all the “hidden” treasures Stuttgart has to offer.  Germany has 16 States and Stuttgart is the capital of the State Baden Württemberg.  This State has so much to offer, but you won’t find it all listed in a travel book-many things are just word of mouth.  I want to see EVERYTHING while we live here and sometimes feel like a girl that has too many birthday parties invitations and know I can’t possibly attend them all.  Even the restaurants here have certain “flair” that makes you feel like you are experiencing history.  Yesterday, I experienced this TWICE. 

Late in the morning, I met a friend at Grand Café Planie, which sits in Karlsplatz.  http://www.grandcafeplanie.de/  This outdoor terrace sits smack dab in the middle of Stuttgart’s historical center. As I sat (for two hours without begin rushed by the waiter) talking and drinking my perfect Cappuccino, I couldn’t stop looking at all the historical buildings surrounding us.  I have a feeling my friend was starting to wish she had picked a different restaurant as I kept interrupting our conversation to ask questions like, “why did King’s stop reining here in Stuttgart?”  “How old is that building?” “Which is the new castle.”  Living in an area with so much history, has suddenly made me very interested in history.  Too bad that wasn’t the case when I was in school, it probably would have made my parents a little prouder of my report cards.  As usual, I had to come straight home and ‘google’ Karlsplatz to learn more about its history.  I found out the “Square” we were sitting in was first written about in the 1300’s when it was a Duchess’ Private Garden.  It has gone through many changes over the past 800 hundred years.  Needless to say, my Conversation and Cappuccino were great.

As if that wasn’t enough history for the day, as soon as Jason was back in town, we kissed the kids goodnight as the babysitter was shuffling them to bed to head to another historic area for dinner.  "Siebenmühlental" (Seven Mill Valley), is an area first documented in the Forestry books in 1383.  It is an area that many people like to hike in or ride bikes on the old train paths.  Now there are 11 mills and at least 6 of them are now restaurants/beer Gardens.  Jason had heard about this area and that the restaurants were definitely something to write home about (or his wife to Blog about).  We had a great dinner at the mills, Seebruckenmühle. http://www.seebruckenmuehle.de/  The food was excellent and the atmosphere even cozier!  I am can’t wait to discover the next “hidden treasure” Stuttgart has to offer!

PS-My pictures turned out pretty crummy...sorry.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>