4/1/11

die Toilette


Note to self- An I-phone does not work well after being dropped in a German 'Toilette'.  However, if retrieved quickly, blown dry, placed on the heater for three hours and blown dry some more, it may start working again in 24 hours. 


I am so thankful to have my phone back!  I thought it would be a good time to blog about the differences in the U.S. and German “pottys”.  The word in German is “die Toilette”.  I still get embarrassed to use the standard German phrase when searching for the restroom, “Wo ist die Toilette?”  I just can’t picture myself being in a restaurant back in the states anbd asking a waitress “Where is the toilet?”   I tell my children (often it seems) “potty talk” isn’t very polite”, so I won't spend a lot of time writing "potty talk".  But I have noticed a few of the differences here in Germany.

 Signage-When looking for a restroom, search for signs reading either, “Toiletten” or “WC”(water closet)


 Size-It is interesting to me that 'die toilette' here seems much deeper and taller than a standard U.S. toilet.
Size and shape
.





Flusher-There is usually a small and big round button on the wall behind 'die toilette' to flush.  I haven’t seen any little silver handles (yet) attached like in the U.S.
Flusher












 Cost-When in public, don’t be surprised to either pay for entry or tip if there is a person “manning” the restrooms.
Coins please...
Lock- I have noticed a standard lock on all Toiletten doors including the ones in my home.  When in use, it will show ‘Red’, otherwise it shows ‘green’. 
available

Occupied

1 comment:

  1. LMBO! I don't think I could use the one out on the street!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>