4/3/11

Dinner with Kings...kinda


Schloss Liebenstein


We were treated to dinner this weekend at Schloss Leibenstein, which is an 11th century castle located in Heilbronn Germany.  It is about an hour-long drive (of course it felt more like being on a rollercoaster than in the car with Jason driving on the Autobahn to make sure we weren't late)  I just can’t seem to get used to driving so fast...still feels dangerous to me sitting in a car going 140 mph!    However, I turned loose of the door handle as we exited the Autobahn and began driving on the winding roads thru wine vineyards as the sun set.

We weren’t sure what to expect, since this restaurant isn’t part of our usual “stomping ground”.  Well-I now know what I have been missing.   “I STRONGLY RECOMMEND” making a reservation at the private dining room of this castle’s restaurant.  It was an experience I will never forget.  Our table was in a charming, dimly lit corner room with large silver candle arbors burning all around.  I felt like I had just stepped back to the 11th century and was about to eat in the King’s dining room.  However, our dinner was far from what I imagine an 11th century meal was like.   

The chef came in prior to each of the seven courses to describe the various fresh dishes he could cook for us.  My brain didn’t understand all the German descriptions, but my stomach understood perfectly!  I don’t think I have ever tasted ‘Fresh Basil Sorbet’, but it sure did do its job cleaning my palate and making me crave more.  I wish I could describe each course, but I never was exactly sure what the dishes were even with Jason translating.  Since I couldn't write about them, I followed my instincts and as I tend to do here in Germany; I forgot I was a resident and acted like a tourist whipping out my camera to take pictures of the plates.  (I also can’t describe the looks on the faces of our German hosts sitting across the table as I “clicked” each shot-indiscreetly of course) 

Another thing I am quickly discovering-I should probably drink one or two VERY strong coffees before going to any more dinners with our German friends.  I am learning dinners here in Germany tend to last late into the night.  I have to say, I have enjoyed not being rushed at restaurants and having the ability to converse with our friends with out being asked as soon as I put the last bite in my mouth are you ready for the check?”.  The first four hours (of our six hour meal) I did pretty good understanding and contributing to the German conversation.  But, the clock struck 12 and my brain switched to OFF.  I continued to have fun though..while they all 'spoke on' (and were probably thankful I had finally stopped talking in my broken German) I entertained myself playing the game “What I think they said” as I ate my homemade ice cream. I have found this can be a quite entertaining game...not to mention my survival trick at times. 


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like an amazing place! I can't believe it took 6 hours! How lovely!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>