4/10/11

'Swiegereltern' arrived...


The 'Swiegereltern' have arrived.  That is the German term for "in-laws" which sound so much nicer if you ask me.  My in-laws...a.k.a-'Grandma & Pops" are here for a week.  I don't think I realized how much the children have missed their Grandparents until I listened to "Are we almost at Grandma & Pops house" our entire drive to Nürnberg.  Seems the kids were a little confused about the fact that we were driving to Nürnberg Germany rather than Oregon to spend our first weekend together.  However, I don't blame them for thinking we were driving to Oregon since the Autobahn was at a STANDSTILL and a 2-hour drive turned into 4 hours.  Once we arrived, acted like it was Christmas morning when they first saw their Grandparents.  (You would never know they were just here in December)

Our weekend in Nürnberg, the city that was founded in the 11th century, was very relaxing.  There is such a nice mix of "historical" sites and “new city”.  I can't decide what I enjoyed most of my weekend in Nurnberg... 

  • Kids sleeping in the in-laws room.  It meant I didn't wake up to the "mommy, I'm hungry” alarm clock"
  • Dinner at Nürnberg Hause restaurant.  The menu gave a choice of 6, 8, 10, or 12 Nürnberger Bratwurst served with sauerkraut or potato salad.  That is about all of the options on this menu. 


 
  • Early morning runs inside the old city wall.  Nicer than any guided tour I could have taken of the old sights-Frauenkirche, St Lorenzkirche, medieval castle, the half-timbered houses, Albrecht Dürer house, Schöner Brunnen, etc. etc.            I can also tell you my favorite part WAS NOT ALL THE COBLESTONE ROADS THAT CONTINUED TO TRIP ME ALL WEEKEND. 
We brought the “Swiegereltern” back home with us and treated them to an evening of warm temperatures and good dinner cooked on the grill…just like the people of Nürnberg did in the 1300’s. 










No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>