4/15/11

Yes Ma'am...

My Brother and I- I was still learning manners at this point
On the playground the other day, as Karina and Cooper were running past me trying to forget their manners, I reminded them to add “Ma’am” on the end of their “yes” answer.  As they both mumbled, “yes ma’am (with great enthusiasm) one of the other moms commented that they didn’t have to say that here in Germany.  After this conversation, I began to ponder the question; why AM I continuing to make them use their “Southern Manners” here in Germany? 


After a few days of going back and forth, I decided that I would continue to teach the children the same old-fashioned Southern Manners I learned as a child AND German Manners (like shaking a German’s hand when saying hello).  I figured more manners are better than none.  I also came to the realization, that here in Germany I have continued to use my Southern Manners, which probably seem odd to people here.  They seem to be so ‘bred in me’… I can’t leave them on the other side of the ocean.  For instance, I still say, “yes ma’am” and “no sir” when speaking to Germans, I greet people on the street, I hold the door for the person behind me when entering stores.  Don’t worry, I have noticed the strange looks I often get because they think I am a tad off my rocker, but those looks usually make me laugh. 

As I was searching on the Internet for “Manners in different cultures”, I found Darius Rucker’s song, Southern State of Mind.  I had to laugh when I heard it for the first time-it described my situation here in Germany if you substituted “Country” for “state”.  I included a link if you want to hear his song, but you may not feel it as I did (unless you tend to use y’all quite frequently or yes ma’am)  


1 comment:

  1. I love that picture of you and Mike. I so remember both of you looking just like you do in the pic. Brings back good memories of days gone by.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>