5/16/11

More than a Treasure Hunt....


We laughed that it was a little ironic that as Jason headed to out to “Hugo Boss” to do a little shopping, I headed downtown to the “Flohmarkte Karlsplatz-Stuttgart”.  That translates into Flea market.

The first time I made my stroll under the big trees in this historic square, sifting through all of the potential prizes I could purchase and take home, it wasn’t quit the same since I had my five year old son in tote.  Something about constantly looking up and having to say, “Cooper don’t touch that…Cooper be careful that will break…Cooper get out from under the table…No, it’s not time to go home yet” took some of the “hunt” out of the treasures.

However, since I didn’t have to utter one single word this past Saturday (unless it was to ask “Was Kostet das) it had all of the magic I am coming to love about this event.  The pictures don’t come close to capturing the variety of goods for sale, nor the atmosphere that I think is one of the most affordable attractions so far here in Stuttgart!  I realized the Flohmarkt was more than a treasure hunt for me…….

·      Lots of Eye Candy
·      An intense German lesson
·      An education on both antiques and junk (there is plenty of both)
·      A walk down memory lane (I had forgotten how much I loved my grandmother’s purses until I similar ones were displayed on a table for sale)
·      A trip to the Twilight Zone (There is an awful lot of “strange” mixed in with everything else-notice the manikins for sale underneath the historic statue)
·      Great people watching (I could just camp out all day in one spot…maybe on top of the rugs that are so nicely layed out on the ground for all to shop)
·      A little “fast food” (if you consider homemade German Linsen suppe ‘fast’)
·      A nice walk (and you don’t even realize you are getting exercise)

China everywhere

Add caption


Add caption


Cookie cutters?



really?!?!?


2 comments:

  1. very cool flea market! was that the same statue that the kids played under when we were visiting?:) love,m:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I could stay there all day! I am sure Cooper had some comments about those mannequins! :)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>