5/19/11

"Southern Pea Salad" here in Germany????




Trip #1
I was aware of the Big “ Weiß Spargel” Rage (White Asparagus) from my various travels to Germany.  Yes, fresh white asparagus is everywhere in German and IS very tender because it hasn’t had one ounce of light, but unfortunately is only “in season” for a few months.  But, what I DID NOT KNOW… was that someone here in Germany had gotten his or her hands on my grandmother’s “Southern Pea Salad” Recipe.  O.K., so they added this yummy white asparagus and subtracted the Vidalia onions, but somehow created exactly the same taste that I would devour at Sunday dinners at my grandparent's house. 
I have heard about some people having this "problem" with other foods... like Oreos.  Once you eat one cookie, something takes over your brain and you end up eating the whole bag of chocolate and cream filled cookies.  BUT, NO Cookies for me...just little green peas.  I have found something that tastes exactly like “Ma’s” pea salad, and my brain has gone crazy the past two days. 
Yep, after I ate the first little container I brought home from the Metzgertei,  (butcher shop …and most always has the best homemade side dishes) my brain told me I must pedal very quickly back to the Metzgerei to buy more in case they sold out.  I returned home with my gaurded treasure, only to consume it within 10 minutes.  (Who knew you could get a stomachache fromasparagus and English peas.)  But obviously, my body did not learn it’s lesson…as soon as I had the chance today, I was pushing those bike pedals as fast as they would go again.  I even ate at the stand-up table in the Butcher shop because I couldn’t wait to feel those crunchy English Peas bursting open inside my mouth. (and of course I had to also add what looked a little like southern fried chicken to my plate)  I attempted to ask what was in this lip-smacking dish, but my German language inadequacies left that one as one big fat question mark. 
I have’ googled ‘trying to find this recipe, but with no luck.  Below, I am sharing my Grandmother's very own recipe.  Perhaps there are a few Germans living in the Southern states frantically searching for this “Southern Pea Recipe” after they took a bite and realized, "this tastes like the Weiss Spargel/Pea salad from Germany".  
  My grandmother is probably looking down from Heaven watching my crazy antics here in Germany while she shakes her head and says to herself “shug, if you eat that much pea salad everyday, you just won’t be able to fit in your clothes…no matter where you live!”
Ma’s Pea Salad
1 cup or more tiny frozen garden peas (she grew hers!)
1 cup finely chopped Vidalia onions
1 cup finely chopped celery
½ cup Helman’s mayo
2 tbls sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>