5/22/11

Three Important "German 'G's"

German Foods
German Friends
Gartens

Some things here in Germany seem EXACTLY the same as in the States to me;Like when you combine good food and friends, you usually end up with a spectacular night.  These are my favorite kind of evenings both in Alabama and Germany.  Both nights this weekend were just that for the Hoff family thanks to various invitations from friends to join their ‘garten parties’. ( Happy Birthday Barbara!) 

I am sitting here on this Sunday morning still in a blissful state from the past two nights.  Yes, it helps that I am drinking a cup of very STRONG coffee and sitting outside while the kids play nicely.  I swear, Germans can stretch a dinner into the wee hours of the night and never seem tired the next day.  But I, on the other hand, have big black circles under my eyes from the lack of sleep two nights in a row.  For me, making the transition to living abroad a happy one, it is critical to cultivate friendships.  I am very fortunate to have found such nice friends so quickly here in Germany.  Spending time with these friends helps me forget all of the “hard parts” of living abroad.(yes...it can be hard)  It only gets better when you add the fact that I did “pretty dog gone good” participating in two full nights of German conversation. 

However, there were some big differences…A ‘yard’ is a “Garten”, the flowers are different and I wasn’t sitting there with a big head of frizzy hair with sweat dripping in my eyes from the humidity.  I am discovering the outdoor world here in Germany to be full of flowers, outdoor living, nice days and cold nights.  I think I am falling in love with this spring weather, so much so, I may not complain once about the snow or freezing cold this winter.

So, as I take the last sip of my coffee and listen to the kids starting to argue, I have to wonder if the important things in life are the same no matter  in what country a person lives ……

This weekend's "gartens"

The water is colder than AL-they don't seem to mind


Hey..do you wanna play?

grilling


1

1 comment:

  1. Hey there! I thought I left a comment yesterday after I read your post...but just saw that I didn't...I guess I am really losing it!!:) I am so glad you have great friends there. It's funny how people you meet while living overseas can really become like family very quickly!!!:) It looks like you had a great weekend!!!:) love,m:)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>