6/3/11

German Signs....


Sign #1


Sign #2
As I am driving along the winding German roads, I can help but sing Five Man Electrical Band’s song, “ Signs, signs everywhere are signs”.  I love discovering new places here in Stuttgart from just a simple little sign stuck on the side of the road.  One of the things I am most grateful for is the fact that I can and love to read.  However, I think Karina often wishes I couldn’t read…especially these signs when they cause me to do a quick u-turn.  Yes, I see a colorful sign and it sings to me to come back and explore. 


This week, I spotted TWO new signs.  As I was turning the car around to ‘follow the arrow’, Karina said, “mom why do we always have to do this, I just want to go home and play.”  Hopefully, one day she will remember all of the great things we “discovered” and will do the same with her children.  The first sign I spotted read what I translated into “Pick your own strawberries”.  It is so fun watching all the produce coming into season right under your nose…even all of the huge cherry trees in our neighborhood playground are full and threaten to boink you on the head.  As we headed into the strawberry field, I gave them a quick lesson on which strawberries to pick and then they were off.  I think they got a little confused because it sounded more like an Easter egg hunt…”Mom, Look I found one!!”..”Mom, Look at this one I found!!”  “MOM-I found another one”.   I wish they would clean up their room with this much gusto.  After all the cartons were full (and their bellies) we headed to the car.  Just when I thought they had their ‘fill’ of these plump red ones, they asked, “Can we eat some more before we get in the car?”  Since they seem to like to eat what they pick so much, maybe next time I will search for a “lettuce patch”.


proud of there "finds"

I had to keep explaining that we had to pay

The next u-turn I made was to explore this “Jungendfarm”.  I wasn’t sure what it was and am still not 100% educated.  However, the sign was playful and I wanted to check it out.  As we got out of the car in the drizzling rain, I wondered if I was crazy as we slid in the mud.  But I think I discovered a wonderful opportunity.  From our hour-long visit, I think I understood that children can come to this farm on Saturdays, help take care of all the animals, make crafts and then go for rides on the horses.  It teaches them how to care and respect animals and learn responsibility in a fun way.  I am pretty sure that is what she explained to me but sometimes my German translations aren’t the best.  We will see when we start taking the kids……
can I ride?

feeding rabbits

So, my advice to any visitors planning a trip to Germany;save some time to explore the signs on the side of the road, they won’t be listed in a Tour Guide Book. 

2 comments:

  1. I love to pick fresh strawberries! I know the kids are storing up great memories and you are a great Mom for introducing them to such wonders!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite things about you is your sense of adventure.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>