6/17/11

Welcome to Germany!


I am (again) seeing Germany thru new eyes.  Our neighbor from Alabama, Katie, arrived today to spend the next five weeks with us here in Germany.  I didn’t realize how “normal” the sights here have become for me…until I saw them thru Katie’s eyes today as we shopped at the fresh market, rode the train, walked around the castles, and ate in a Biergarten downtown.  I had also forgotten how much all the Germans here in Sillenbuch (my little village) seem to love Americans. 
As we shopped our way thru the ‘Friday Fresh Market’, I watched the various vendors at the fresh market proudly hand Katie a taste of their olives, cheese, stuffed peppers and even a soap bar of olive oil as they asked her numerous question about her visiting from America.  ( Not to mention more than once I was asked if she was my daughter-really-have I aged that much since I moved here?!?)  As I listened to these conversations, I remembered my first two months living here; all the questions I was asked about America and the numerous times “Sweet Home Alabama” was sung to me.  I wondered when it had stopped and become normal daily living for me without my realizing it had become this.  It seems as my German improves and as I become a “regular”, the questions and songs have diminished.  I think I miss those out of tune renditions of ‘Sweet Home.’  But as some things diminish, new things immerge-like I am truly LIVING in a foreign country, not just living like a tourist, I am developing friendships with the locals, I am eating like a local, I am acting like a local, I am speaking like a local…well, I doubt that one is accurate because I haven’t heard any of the locals say “Y’all”.

As we rode our bikes home from the market, I thought to myself, it will be a wonderful five weeks to see Germany thru her eyes.  I will watch in envy as Germany introduces itself and wraps its arms around her while whispering its charm in her ears.  For me, discovering a new country for the first time is one of life’s greatest pleasures- I hope it will be for Katie!  Here are some pictures of today's "firsts" for Katie.


she loves the olives

walking to the train

Here comes the train

First train (subway) ride..

checking out the castle gardens

checking out the naked statue..

medieval castle

Playground in the city?

First "legal" drink (she's 20)

trying Schnitzel

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>