6/1/11

Strike-Out...NOT!


My heart rate got up to the “dangerous zone” today but it wasn’t from a good run or even a bike ride in the forest.  Rather, it came from a “quick” trip before German class to the one store that carries “American Pancakes”.  It is one of the kids favorite breakfast treats and I wanted to be sure to buy them since all the stores close tomorrow for “Ascension Day”.  (Big public holiday here in Germany) 

magnetized escalator
So, I am already in a rush, which is really a joke here in Germany since nothing seems to “go fast”.  I put my Euro in the cart’s slot to unlock it and took off to shop.  After riding up the magnetized escalator (which is comical to me)  I collected my items and headed back down the escalator to pay.  Whew!!!, I still would have a few minutes to spare before class to drink an expresso-what a great morning.  That is, until all the commotion started.  This is how I remember the events…

I am second in line.  I glance over to the next isle and notice the cashier closing her drawer and leaving her station.  That is odd, I think.  The people in that line now move behind me in my line.  So that was strange, but I was next in line and would still make school on time.  Then my cashier and another lady started talking to me in very animated and very fast German.  I looked at them blankly.  The other lady came around and pulled me and my cart up closer to the belt while speaking to me in even faster German.  Then she shut the gate behind me so all the others would know I was the last customer in that line.  It aggravated me to  that they were giving me a look like I was was not the brightest customer they knew, so I told them, “I am learning German and you are talking too fast, so please be nice."   There, I got that off of my chest.  The older lady and cashier both sighed, “ohhhhh”.  As I calmed back down, I noticed that there was a lot of commotion going on all around me and people were dropping their ‘goods’ and leaving the store.  I asked the cashier in German “Is everything ok, what is wrong?”.  She wouldn’t answer.  Then it was my turn to be checked out.  As she started ringing my items another lady came over, closed her money drawer and pulled the cashier outside.  I was left standing there frozen; all alone as the thought occurred to me, “Is this some type of bomb threat?”  My German was not good enough to understand what was going on and I was actually scared.  However, my feet were frozen.  I discovered again this morning that I am not such a brave person.  Well, turns out all the personnel went on STRIKE at that very moment.  Once I realized this, I was determined to figure out a way to finish my check out because dag on it, I wanted to feed my kids pancakes in the morning.  I headed straight for the management desk and asked in German, “Isn’t there anyone that can finish my purchase?”  She walked back with me and then realized that standing there were customers a mile long.  

Notice everyone is gone...expect my items on the belt
 Some manager began checking us out as I tried not to start crying from the stress of not having a clue what was going on and relief that there was no bomb.  I made it to school 30 minutes late (but still went) and will be cooking pancakes in the morning.   I am beginning to think ‘Strikes’ and protests are part of the culture  here in Germany.  I don’t understand them, but do know they can quickly disrupt your plans as Jason & I also found out one Saturday afternoon in downtown Stuttgart when we stumbled on a  ‘Suttgart 21’ protest. 

I just may go on my own strike this weekend....No cooking, no cleaning, no alarm clocks.....


deserted


As I was leaving..

All the Cashiers outside

Stuttgart 21 Strike

Stuttgart 21

4 comments:

  1. Those Stuttgart 21 demonstrators weren't on strike, they were simply protesting. People opposing Stuttgart 21 are unlikely to be working for any of the companies or contractors involved in the project, which would make a strike somewhat pointless.

    And even if they did go on strike, I doubt they'd do it on a Saturday ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Berlin! I have now changed it to read "protest". I do not have the knowledge nor the history to have an opinion on 'Stuttgart 21'. However, I do know that on that Saturday afternoon I quickly lost my husband in the hundreds of people as we were walking to dinner:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey there! I can totally understand the stress of not having a clue as to what is going on.....you are better than me....I know I would have cried.:) but, you deserve the Mom of the Year Award for getting the pancake mix for your kiddoes!!!!:) BTW, I hope that your part of Germany was able to avoid the e coli breakout I saw on the news this morning.... love,m:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that would have scared me to death! I am thankful that the manager helped you in the end. :)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>