7/31/11

Boiled peanuts and Waffle House


 I am ashamed to admit that there was a time in my life when I tried hard to hide the fact I was a “Southerner” for fear people would think I didn’t have any smarts.  It seems that some folks have always thought us Southerners didn’t have much sense because we talk a little slower, walk close to a snail's pace and generally live life in an unhurried way.  But don’t be fooled by this slowness, we be real smart!  As I  become older wiser, I am learning to embrace everything about who I am and learning to just be the best “me” I can be in life. That includes being proud of my southern roots. 
     
   Embrace is exactly what the south did this week when I returned -it embraced me with a warm hot hug.  I knew I was home as I drove down the back road singing along with the country songs, admiring the lush green kudzu, scratching my numerous mosquito bites, all while the car’s air conditioner blew full blast on my face freezing the sweat beads. I am only beginning to get my "fix" of the things I miss...like waffle house, grits, boiled peanuts, porch swings, and of course my family.   I try not to focus on the things I miss while we are living in Germany, but rather focus on all the great things we are experiencing.
   As I overhear some of the kid’s comments these first few days of our vacation in the states, I have realized that 8 months living in Germany is a long time in a child’s years.  I have also realized there are some things down south you just don’t experience anywhere else in the world.  So, as I go to lather up in some more bug spray, I’ll leave you with some of these thoughts and quotes….

Some things I love about the south
  • I always feel love because people I don’t know call me “honey” or “hon”
  • You can get boiled peanuts at about every mile on the back roads
  • You are invited to attend the local church tent revival by more than one person while buying boiled peanuts.
  • You WILL HAVE at least a 5 minute conversation with a stranger while waiting in line for the bathroom
  • You don’t need any medication to help you sleep-instead you can go outside and listen to the bullfrogs and crickets.  
  • Free weight loss plan offered;"Step into the heat for ten minutes and lose a pound"
  • Your friends will have big ole gift bags waiting for you in the backseat of the car when you land with all the important necessities.

Things the kids said since landing in the US
  • "Why do all these toilets have a handle to flush instead of a big button on the wall"
  • “I’ve never seen a garten (German name for yard) so big”-Karina referring to my brother’s house where she has spent many days during her life.
  • “Momma, they have “light up bugs” here”
  • Jet lag mornings at 3 am “is it time to go get Dunkin doughnuts?”
  • “That fish was small but it was heavy to pull in…do they have fish in Germany cause we haven’t been fishing.”
  • “wow they have “Bugs Bunny” on tv in the states and it’s in english.”
  • “Wow, mommy, it’s night time and it isn’t even cold outside here”
  • “Where’s the worm?” as Cooper looked inside the fish mouth
  • “Why is she speaking English?” as the waitress at Waffle house took our order
  • “Mamma-your skin turned dark like mine here in the states” little does she know I bought some tanning lotion when I realized how pale my skin has become in Germany
  • “Do you know what the most “excited” thing was about fishin tonight…we heard a fwoog (frog)”
  • “Uncle Mike, grab a jacket in case you get cold” Cooper as they headed out to go fishin –it was only 98 degrees with 80 percent humidity!  
 luggage with gifts we brought didn't do so well on the flight-burned



We are on our way!!!


trip to the ER-Karina's ear drum burst on the flight over from Germany
"The biggest Garten" Karina has ever seen-Uncle Mikes
Cooper try to "fish" in Uncle M's Koi pond


Cooper and Mike "really fishing"


Water balloons always help beat the heat..when thrown at Uncle Mike

YUM-grits and hashbrowns

I'll just put some money in for my boiled peanuts...

Getting our fix


Jason trying to teach Pappa about the wii

Nothing better than a good Porch Swing-especially with Nana!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you're having fun in the heat. Eat some boiled peanuts for me - I miss those things too! Come swing up to Chi (or NH when you're out east). xo

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>