7/11/11

Headed South...in Germany


We headed to München this weekend.  (No, that is not a misspelling of Munich but rather the correct German spelling.)

As we come into Katie’s last week visiting us, we want to give her a little piece of everything Germany has to offer to take back home with her.  So, Saturday we hoped on the Autobahn and headed South. The first part of our weekend was fun and funny, the second part very solemn, to say the least.  

Her parents, Philip & Alice, have succeeded in raising their daughter.  Katie is everything I hope my daughter will be when she is 20 years old; loving, intelligent, giving, compassionate, polite, creative (list goes on)  Because of this, I just can’t pull myself to say 'no' when she requests for me to join her ‘tours’.  A few of her requests this weekend involved doing things I wouldn’t do.. no matter who asked.  But, because it was Katie…I agreed to climbing 306 steps to the top of St. Peter’s church tower even though I don’t care for heights, walked for 8 hours straight to see every inch of a city instead of relaxing at the hotel's spa pool, and most importantly, I visited Dachau concentration camp which I never thought I could do in this lifetime.  

I am glad I did visit Dachau.  I have always felt emotional about the effect Hilter's 'rule' had on peoples lives.  Over the years, I have read many books, toured museums, and watched movies about this time period always feeling sad.  However, nothing prepared me for the magnitude of emotions I felt when I actually stepped foot on the Concentration Camp site.  If I was a professional writer, I would try to put my experience in words, but I am not. I fear my words would not give Dachau's prisoners the recognition they deserve. 

Instead, I write about the “Things I observed as I toured with Katie this weekend”
  • I saw Munich through new eyes-it is amazing how I felt like it was my first trip to Munich as I watched her enthusiasm. 
  • I can provide humor when climbing up a high tower- she couldn’t stop laughing at me all the way up the narrow climb and decided to video ME…not the steps.
  • I can continue to walk even though my legs are boycotting.
  • Kids don’t care so much for old churches...but love a water fountain.
  • I have a great husband who spent most of the weekend at the hotel with the kids swimming so I could ‘play’ with Katie (I strongly recommend the Sofitel in Munich)
  • Beer Gartens don’t work in a downpour.
  • When touring with a ‘PYT’, you will be invited to a disco party.  (Since I have moved to Germany, I don’t think any young guys have said, “Hey American girl, wanna come to my disco?)
  • A quick Foot massage is good before the second 5 hours of walking
The Biggest and most rewarding thing I observed this weekend, was watching her mind grow and expand right in front of my eyes. 



Add caption

you have to drink a Beer in Munich:)

Hofbrauhaus

Foot massage

Come on Kirstin..keep climbing

We made it to the top!

Look at that view!

Dachau

Entry Gate

Museum


Prisoner Barracks

Prisoner Barracks


The "Brausebad" ("Shower"), gas chamber
"To honor the dead and warn the living"


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>