8/31/11

Brave and Resourceful with a schultüte


 Last night Jason and I watched the movie “True Grit” (thanks to our beloved Apple TV).  It was a great way to take our mind off the fact that our children would be starting First Grade and Kindergarten the next morning.  After battling to get them to sleep for the night, we settled into our movie.  As I watched this story about a 14-year-old girl that was very independent, brave, and resourceful, I couldn’t help but wonder if our children would be that strong, brave, and resourceful when they are that age.
Karina is presented her Schultüte
But they aren’t that age....so I'll worry about that one later.  Karina entered the first grade today, she was able to experience the German tradition of receiving her "Schultüte".  She was presented this goodie filled cone (that was as big as her) during a special ceremony for all the first graders.  I was amazed that like many of the castles around here, this traditional “bag” filled with gifts such as crayons, pencils, and small toys leads back to the early 1800s.  I was also amazed at how loud a bunch of parents armed with cameras can be when put together. 

Cooper to Kindergarten and Karina to 1st Grade



  This morning, as I listened to the speech about this class of 2023, I realized that our children are already like the brave girl in the movie last night.  They have already demonstrated strong, brave and resourceful…They have moved to a new country, are hearing a new language, playing with new friends, eating new food, living in a new house, and going to a new school all with a brave face.  So I think the next time I find myself thinking I may not be doing things right as a mother, I will try to remember that I must be doing something that is working since our children are approaching most things here in Germany in a brave and resourceful manner including the beginning of Kindergarten and First Grade! 



5 comments:

  1. Yea Cooper and Karina! I hope their first day back to school was wonderful! So proud of them both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there! I haven't been on mush this week..the kids were off for a Muslim holiday here. Cooper and Karina look great to start their new school year! You are sooo doing a great job as a mom!:) The amusement park looked so fun. And, I am so jealous!!! a wine festival in your town!!!! What fun!!! love,m:)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>