8/8/11

Mountains, cool air, and a bite on the butt


Since we moved to Germany, everyone always asks, “what is the hardest part about living in Germany?”  I think I finally have an answer; Traveling to the states to visit family/friends and all of a sudden realizing we are in the last hours of our visit.  That is exactly where I am in our ‘Oregon leg’ of our U.S. visit.  It STINKS having to start our goodbyes-Period.  So, Yes, that is the hardest part about living in Germany-we live across the ocean from most of the people we love.    




Five days ago we made it to Grandma & Pops Hoff House in Central Oregon for the 2nd leg of our vacation.  Instead of being embraced by a hot hug as we were in Georgia, we have been kissed by a crisp, cool air, and have snow topped mountains winking at us while we sit on the back deck playing numerous games of Yahtzee.  I also somehow managed to land a pitchfork in my hand within the first two hours of our arrival and was helping grandma Hoff shovel horse “stuff.  I didn’t even mind that because I knew I had made it to my “other home”.  I did mind Porter, one of her Tennessee Walkers, biting me on my butt and leaving a big ole bruise.  I guess horses have a different way of telling someone they live too far away.

We have always enjoyed our extended summer visits out to the “Hoff ranch” in Oregon.  This visit isn’t quite the 3-week stay since Germany is a tad further than Alabama.  The kids love all of the activities at their grandparent’s house;

  • Numerous rides on the gator-especially since Pops decided Cooper was old enough to drive this year
  • Helping feed the horses
  • Swimming in the Jacuzzi
  • Swinging on the tire swing in the barn
  • Cooking cookies and Apple Pie
  • Riding on the tractor
The parents always seem to enjoy all the activities too;

  • Grandma & Pops taking care of the kids
  • Grandma & Pops taking care of the kids
  • Grandma & Pops taking care of the kids
I personally missed having the time for Grandma’s and my “Big escape” which involved Pop’s taking care of the kids for a whole day while we trailer the horses and head up to one of the mountains in the area to spend the day riding up to enjoy a scenic picnic (and one of us enjoys a quick skinny dip). 

That is one thing I am learning as I live with the title ‘expat’; enjoy every minute you have with family/friends...because that ocean will come between you again real soon.  So as this trip comes to an end, I sit on the porch in Oregon and wink one last time back at the mountains, take a deep breath of crisp air (since we won’t be able to breath at all in the Alabama humidity) and try not to shed one tear as listen to the  zip of the suitcase for our next leg.  Goodbye Oregon-till next time.  

I'll miss you too!!!



Can I go faster Pops?


I missed Pops..and his glasses

Grandma's new horse-Cole.



ANOTHER gator ride

Where are the kids-hee-hee

In Oregon, we take turns being the skinny girl-or cowgirl

skinny or cow

Really-who naps at a coffee house?

Darren, When Pops isn't looking, grab a jelly bean.

helping grandma



Pops gave us the keys to the convertible

2 comments:

  1. They babysat AND gave you the keys, too? How wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a blast in Oregon! Can't wait until this weekend!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>