12/1/11

American sounds of Christmas


Imagine... Songs in English, a hearty HO-HO-HO from Santa (not St. Nicholas) and the cooking of Pizza Hut pizza.....those were the things we heard tonight that helped ease my "Holiday homesickness". 

I really do love Christmas in Germany with all the creative Christmas windows, smells of chestnuts roasting, Gluhwein as it warms your body, fresh Gingerbread cookies on every corner and all of the festive Christmas markets.  But a special feeling came over me tonight as we walked around the U.S. military installation listening to the music and enjoying all of the games and it wasn't because it was MY FIRST EVER VISIT TO A MILITARY BASE!!  (nor was it the Pizza Hut pizza since I have now become addicted to 'real Italian pizza')
Cooper thought this tank was from "Star Wars"


Friends invited us to join them for all of the Festivities surrounding the lighting of the Christmas tree on Base which seemed like a much better idea than spending another evening refereeing 2 kids that are grumpy because their dad is out of town.  Little did I know that I would feel like I stepped into America for a few hours.  I guess the kids sensed something was a little different too because at one point, Karina turned to me and said, "everyone here is speaking English!"  And as with most days here in Germany, I learned something;  Some places in Germany take only good ole American dollars....it just would have helped if I had any on hand.


As I went up to preform the 'motherly check' which involves turning the radiator up and pulling the covers over the kids, I noticed Cooper sleeping with his Santa hat on and a peaceful face.  I couldn't help but to think that I was not the only one that these few hours in "America" helped ease a little bit of those holiday homesick blues...

On your mark...get set....

I guess it is time for us to go skiing...

"All is Calm"

1 comment:

  1. Glad you had a great time....sometimes we need to have those little pieces of home:) Love the pic of Cooper, too!:) love,m:)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>