12/14/11

Boxing up this "Whine"

I seemed to have the song from "The Grinch who stole Christmas" stuck in my head the past two weeks......


Where are you Christmas
Why can't I find you “

Not only Christmas, but also my sense of humor seems to have gotten lost.  I have so many things in life to be thankful for and therefore work really hard not to whine about the small stuff that pops up.  But the small stuff seems to be winning in my house this past month.  I have to admit that at times, living in another country can feel like running into a brick wall on a daily basis.   I feel it especially now that it is Christmas…Not only do I miss my friends/family, the kids have spent more time at home than school due to sickness, I have visited more doctor’s and school nurse’s offices than Christmas markets and I miss my husband who has been out of the country more often than home.  (do I dare mention how long it took me to make Christmas cards on a German website?)

WHINING DONE and I don’t feel any better…so why spend my energy whining? 

Funny, that I was humming this Christmas song when the doorbell buzzed this week.  I just knew it was Christmas ringing when I saw that box labeled ‘US Priority Mail’ waving from the DHL man’s arms.  I was less excited when he started speaking very fast German and wasn’t handing over my US package.  However, he did hand over official looking piece of paper, and I finally got the message;not only did my Mother-in-Law pay an outrageous amount to ship this little box of gifts, but according to the German government I had to pay Zollanmeldung (customs declaration) of about 16 Euros (20 dollars).  The next day I was on the phone with another relative asking, “how do we handle Christmas presents since there don’t’ seem to be many options?”  We have also discovered this week that Amazon.com gift cards are non-transferable to Amazon.de. 

Today it dawned on me…It is not about the “green stuff” or presents; I am sure Customs and all that official hoopla is important in the big ole world of governments.  IT IS about staying in touch with friends and family because emails and pictures don’t cost a thing. 

I am determined to get the kids well, hit some Christmas markets before they close, buy a tree, and pack up this whining and ship it off in a nice big box…duty free!  We will miss being with our friends and family this year, but I know we will create some new traditions this year in Germany that we will remember for many years to come!  (hopefully they will involve singing much happier songs because I don’t give up so easy and I WILL FIND CHRISTMAS!!!)

2 comments:

  1. I think you should also try some "real wine" to make that whine go away!!! ha ha!!:) You are so right about it not being about the gifts...it really is about friends and family and staying connected no matter how you do it:) I'm thinking of you,and I'll have a little "cup 'o Christmas cheer" and think of you!!!! Hang in there! Love,m:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "And the Grinch, with his Grinch-feet ice cold in the snow, stood puzzling and puzzling, how could it be so? It came without ribbons. It came without tags. It came without packages, boxes or bags. And he puzzled and puzzled ’till his puzzler was sore. Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn’t before. What if Christmas, he thought, doesn’t come from a store. What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more." - The Grinch. Let's have a glass of wine and a Skype date.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>