1/29/12

Drink, Drank, Getränkemarkt...

It seems like years ago that "bulk shopping" was such a big part of our life with at least one weekly trip to Costco.  Our refrigerator and pantry were always stocked for at least a week or month.  However, that is a past time because we just don't have room in our refrigerator or pantry here in Germany for any "bulk".  I also haven't noticed 'bulk shopping' to be a big trend here in Germany with the exception of liquids. 

I guess I am adjusting to German living and don't even notice (at times) how much my life has changed in the past year.  I was loading up my car to take all of our empties back to der Getränkemarkt (beverage shop), because you pay a deposit on the bottle (pfand), which is refunded once you return all the empites, when it hit me that I am starting to live in Germany as a local.  My first clue... It doesn't even cross my mind to throw an empty bottle in the trash can.  The next clue...I can carry at least 4 empty cases to the car at once.  I may just get all of this German living down pat in the next few years...if I can just figure out how to pronounce "Getränkemarkt".
Returning the empties...



Including one I better not bring home to J

Every kind of fruit juice I've never heard of ...

 A very popular drink here in Germany is coke mixed with orange soda.  You can find many brands of this mix (our kids plus this = too much noise).  One popular drink that IS allowed in our house is Apfel Schorle (carbonated mineral water with Apple juice)
Every type of bubbly and non bubbly water...


And of course just a little bit of German Beer (which does seem like a big trend here) and wine. 
just a little beer..



lots of German, Spanish, and Italian wines...

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>