1/4/12

Take me home....

Our room with a view.
Off to the Slops...















I get the giggles so bad when we hear a Europe "piano man's" versions of the songs I grew up listening too on my dad's 8-track.  Tonight, I couldn't help but laugh out loud at the melody as it was so ironic that we were sitting in a cozy restaurant, trying to warm up from the artic air we spent 7 hours in, and I daydreamed of the days of Alabama when sweat was dropping down my back.  As the piano man starts singing the Swiss rendition of John Denver's "Country Roads, take me home,....to the place where I belong"  I turned to Jason and laughed but was really thinking, "I am not really sure where I belong anymore."  When I'm cold, I miss Alabama, when I am sweating in heat of the south, I miss the cool air of Germany.
I guess our children also don't always know where they belong anymore.  Today, in one of the Switzerland ski meccas, I was a little peeved that our children were "too nervous" to go to ski school without us and therefore skiing was void since a huge snow storm is coming in tomorrow.  As always, things seemed to fall into place 'where they belong' that is, after we PULLED them halfway across Switzerland on the sleds Jason ran out and bought.  He was also on a mission to find the perfect sledding mountain.  Yep, that time pulling a sled thru artic winds and snow can quickly help one make an attitude adjustment-which is exactly what I did.
Off to the Sledding...

It is a fact that our family doesn't always do the "normal" things in life and a fact that we often seem to beat to a different drum.  But I asked myself, "What is normal?"and "Who is beating that drum anyway?"  We ARE home  when we are together and walking down any country road as long as we are together!  So look out Severe Snow Storm, it takes more than butt cold air, snow beating your face, and frost bite to keep the Hoff family off the Swiss Alps...for a bit of sledding on some country mountains where we belong!! 
Jason finding the perfect sled spots!


This is a workout...not for Cooper
Mom-Can you pull faster?

We're going to get you daddy!



Country roads....

"help, fallen in deep snow& can't get out!" Dad to rescue mom

They didn't like the looks of Ski school..but loved watching the snow board competition!!!



1 comment:

  1. very very true! you ARE home when your family is together.:) Very well put! looks like y'all are having a ball!!!:) love,m:)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>