4/30/12

A Different View


Hospital with a 'view'...in the middle of a wine vineyard
The guide book was dog-eared, the sites to visit highlighted, new food to taste flagged and a big picture of our hotel with a "room with a view" of Lisbon, Portugal was showing daily on my computer screen.  Jason was in China and as the week went on, I continued to ignore the growing pain I had in my side as I checked off my 'To Do' list.  I wanted to be sure that the minute he landed back from China, we were ready to jump on our plane to sunny Portugal.

     As the week went on, that side pain became a distraction.  I decided it was time to see a doctor so he could get rid of it so I could get on with my packing.  Little did I know that after a full day of doctors visits, needles, and a full night in the ER,  that the doctor would change my room with a view to a 'hospital room with a view' for five days...all meals included.
I always say, "that sometimes things just don't go as planned, but you try to find the good in the things that are happening". I found although my room view changed, my meals were slightly different from the Portuguese menus I had planned, and my touring did not included an ocean, that I was able to find many good views.
My room 'view' with windows wide open

Some positive things that I saw with the new "View" 

German hospitals are not scary even when you can't communicate fully. 
 (Jason was in flight back from China on my first Day) 

  • The views were great as it sat right in the middle of a wine vineyard!
  • When you can't find the words to explain in German, "I am about to throw-up"...you just do it and the communication clears up quickly.
  • They encourage you to get out of your room and have various parks, sitting areas, games for children, espresso machines, books to read, and even a picnic area.  
  • They encourage you to have your children come visit because it helps you heal (they may have retracted that one when they saw the level of energy our two have as they entertained the whole hospital with their chatter) 
  • They encourage you to open your windows wide-open to let the fresh air in to help you heal.
  • You have to buy a "card" to make the phone work, but when the nurse can't understand your German she will approve for you to just use your cell phone.  
You can make TRUE friends when living as an expat...it doesn't matter how short or long you will be living in a new country the depth is what you put into the relationship. 
We weren't so pretty to 'view' at 2:30 a.m.
  • With Jason being out of the country,  all of our friends AGAIN rallied around our family helping us in a time of need.
  • You know you have made a lifelong friend when she kisses her 4 children and husband goodnight and stays with you in the E.R.  until the sun is about to pop its head up AND helps you go to the bathroom when you have IV's in both arms.  Most importantly, she didn't laugh when she saw me naked (which can be quit humorous).  She only commented casually at my lack of modesty, "you are not an usual American" to which I quickly responded, "I am not a usual anything!!!"
My Best 'View'!!!
 The most important 'View' I saw from this experience was that I overcame one of my biggest fears; getting really sick while Jason was out of the country.  Yes, it was difficult communicating in German with the nurses, but I did it.  Yes, it was scary not having my husband there with me, but he came. Yes, it would have been nicer to have gone to Portugal, but " sometimes things just don't go as planned, I found the good in the things that happened". 

Gift I was brought to 'View'



Peek-a-'View'
Better 'View'

A little high-tech t.v. to 'View'







6 comments:

  1. Honey, what is happening to you! I am so sorry. You have such an amazing positive attitude and I am so glad you are surrounded by good people. Plus, great nails!

    Much love to you all and lots of healing vibes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!!!! What happned?? I hope you are okay!! i am thinking of you!!!! So glad to see you have great friends around you!!!:) love,m:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I was looking for a little break from the doldrums and thought I'd peek at your blog to see what you were up to. Holy moly! I'm praying that you're alright. Call, email, skype...whatever you're up to. I miss you. Healing vibes to you, sister!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG Kerstin! What happened? Appendix? I am so very sorry that all this is happening while you are in Germany! Hope you are well very very soon! I will be in Germany in June/July. Let me know if you need anything from the States. I am more than happy to deliver!Gute Besserung!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the nice comments...I will be fine cause I'm a fighter. Evelyn- I will be happy to see you when you come over!!!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>