10/1/12

kürbis everywhere!

Lots of colorful 'kürbis' appeal...and I wanted to be a part of it ALL this year in Germany!  For those of you that don't happen to mutter a little German, kürbis translates to pumpkin in American English.  And in Germany there happens to be a hefty supply this time of year. 

Halloween as we Americans know it; costumes, candy and pumpkins carved into Jack-o-lanterns, isn't a traditional holiday here in Germany but there are pumpkins in the supermarkets, fresh markets, and of course, the "Ludwigsburg Kürbisfest" which had a "Switzerland" theme.

 I had a theme of my own:  Figure out this "kürbis kraziness"!  After tasting different variety raw and cooked, I decided to purchase the 'Carnival' due to the smokey flavor that exploded in my mouth as I crunched this raw bite.  If only I had asked how to open and slice this treat, it would have saved me my second workout of the day.  How can one little ole multi-colored pumpkin battle so hard against little ole me and 3 knives?  I am proud to say, I won the battle and the prize was a bag full of crunchy
Knife #2
Carnival bites covered in Rosemary salt and Cumin.  Now THAT is a guilt free treat that will "kürbis your apetite"!!

Cooper tasting..
Knife #3...








Anatomically correct




No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>