1/20/13

Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Alabama anymore


Living in a new culture and climate is a constant learning experience for me.  Just when I thought I was living more like one of the locals, I get a rude awakening.. like the cold air blowing through my body to the point I have to dodge into a store to warm up all while pretending to shop.  I mean REALLY how do all of the Germans walk around, stand on the train platform, walk home carrying their groceries, all while looking like they aren't even a tad cold.  Meanwhile, I have on four layers and still feel like a frozen Popsicle that has been forgotten in the back of the freezer.  I wish I could just hibernate during these cold months, but life goes on and I must learn how to keep up with it including standing on a cold train platform.

Another thing I learned in this weather today, Soy Sauce may not be the best choice to melt the sidewalk ice when one's bag of salt is empty.  As my neighbors walk safely on the "ice-free" sidewalk that will pose little danger to their backside, I hope they will chalk off the strong fishy smelling soy sauce mess as the crazy Alabama girl trying to cook something up...again. It is all a constant learning experience!

 

1 comment:

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>