9/6/13

poor study habits or language barrier...


Maybe my struggles understanding the German language while we were living there weren't just due to my poor study habits.... 

Just as I thought I was settling back into the world of English, I had a man come up to me as I was sitting on the library floor gathering books for the kids and ask, "are you going to the Gap later?" 

I stared at him for about long enough to sneeze trying to rack my brain if I knew him and then responded with big wide open eyes, "excuse me?" 

He repeated, "are you going to the Gap later?"

I gazed at him about the same as I gazed at a German that was speaking too fast.  And just like my gaze didn't bother those Germans, it didn't bother this man either as he patiently said, " I was just asking, because if you need me too, I can help you get up!"  

Now, I am not really sure what baffles me more...the fact that he even thought I may not be able to get up from my perfected Indian style sit OR that I heard Gap rather then "get-up".   At least now, I am clear that language may always be a challenge for me whether it is German, English or even Alabamian...and THAT was spoken like a true writer:

4 comments:

  1. Your ear was 'out of tune' for some of the pronunciations you heard growing up in eastern NC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice post
    two thumb up for you ^___^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ich habe über große Immobilien-Agentur, die Häuser in Kroatien verkauft wurde, sind Häuser in den Städten, die am Meer liegen, und sie sehen toll aus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mon Dieu, I wish you wrote more ! In my 'not so humble opinion' (being your father), you write very well.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>