4/6/11

German Kindness


I continue to find the people here in Germany extremely nice.  This past week, I have been  overwhelmed by the kindness shown to me by two of our German neighbors. 

My first surprise of the week; my neighbor ‘buzzed’ our door and handed me a nicely wrapped package.  There are not many occasions that I am speechless (as my family will tell anyone) however as I unwrapped this package I was exactly that…speechless.  I am now the proud owner of the cookbook “German Cooking Today” which is written in English. (I think she has listened to my recipe versions I have used with German meats and was a little worried about my techniques!)  She explained that she had been searching for this book for a couple of weeks and she had also written two pages of the actual German names for many of the ingredients.  I hope this will improve my German cooking and I can invite her over soon!

My next surprise was this past Monday.  Another one of my neighbors stopped by and asked if I would like to go with her downtown to purchase her weekly homemade Maultaschen. (I have to also point out that she only speaks German so I may have mis-interpreted some of our conversation) I think she said, this spot, Klein’s I. Maultaschenhäusle has the best homemade Maultaschen in Stuttgart. http://www.maultaschenhaeusle.de/   
I wasn’t sure what I was going to do with it once I purchased, but how could I say no to a new adventure?  Maultaschen is a German meat pocket like ravioli but made out of an egg dough. I was told they were developed in order to allow ‘Swabians’ (southwestern region of Baden-Württemberg), to keep eating meat during Lent since it was hidden inside the large noodle.  I learned that this little ‘20 year old Maultaschen house’ began as a restaurant using their grandmother’s recipe.  After their version became so popular, they decided to open a store that was dedicated to selling these yummy pockets. 
Prior to being cooked

I am not sure which was more exciting for me-walking into a local authentic German shop or when my neighbor explained that I was an American and was going to cook these for my husband. (I almost laughed as I translated what she was saying in my little ole' head) 

BUT- I surprised myself (and Jason) After looking it all up in my new cookbook, I headed to the market to collect the rest of my needed ingredients.  I can now officially claim---“I have cooked an authentic Swabish dish and it was good!”

Gemuse
TA-DA!!


2 comments:

  1. Looks delicious Kirstin! The dish on the front of the cookbook looks like Rouladin. One of my favorites that my German stepmother used to cook for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is great when you can find some sweet people...it makes everything seem a little bit easier! the food looks delicious, too!:) love,m:)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>