11/12/11

St. Martin's Day


I am not sure which was more dangerous…about 75 little children walking around with their handmade paper lanterns with lit candles or Jason joining us after being out of the country all week and looking just as hot as the candles.  (However, one blast of cold air blowing right thru his suit and I don’t think he felt “so hot” as he quickly realized he was not in the warm state of Alabama anymore)

Everyday I am learning something new here in Germany (like they will let children walk around in the leave filled streets with real fire inside lanterns) and yesterday it was about the cultural celebration of St. Martins Day.  As all the candles were lit and the kids were singing German songs, I turned to see Cooper playing “bumper cars” with his lit  lantern and wasn’t sure if I wanted to learn anymore about this tradition.  Just in the nick of time, St. Martin arrived on horseback to lead our bright group thru the streets.

Typically, St. Martin’s Day is celebrated on the evening of November 11 with children going through the streets with paper lanterns and candles, all while singing songs about Saint Martin.  I didn’t here my two singing so loudly…I think they were per-occupied with warming their hands over their lanterns. 

Ok, so who am I too judge what really is "dangerous" ….not one single fire truck had to be called and I behaved myself as I held hands with "my own candle" as we walked down the streets listening to the others sing in German.  

2 comments:

  1. We are going to have a "Laternenumzug" with our German School on Monday night, walking the streets of downtown Tuscaloosa. The lanterns are self-made, of course, with real candles inside, of course, and the "Laternenlieder, of course! And we will also have a horse leading us, of course! The Tuscaloosa Police is blocking the streets for us. One difference, though: it is Nov 14, we are three days late (the horse was not available earlier). But who cares here in Alabama, where ylu say Merry Christmas in November and Happy Birthday even several days prior to your birthday? The kids will love it. And afterwards, we will eat German christmas cookies and sweets!Only the Gluehwein is missing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool Holiday! and I love the post about the circus too!! Now the facebook comment makes sense...I couldn't figure out how you had gotten bitten by a horse!:) and I totally understand about life being like a circus!!! LOL love, m:)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>