3/3/11

Tour de German Cupcake Boutique


DANGEROUS.



C decided since he was a boy-he wanted a mikeshake
Today I was running around doing all the errands for the arrival of my niece, her husband and their 18-month-old son's 10 day visit.  During these errands, my stomach was behaving like a whiny child as it continued to growl at me.  At first, it took me off guard because I didn’t recognize this obnoxious noise.  It was later during the day (as my stomach spoke louder) that I realized, my stomach had been spoiled this last week from our “tour d' German restaurants”  Part of the fun of making new friends, it also trying new restaurants (I won’t lie- a BIG part of the fun) .  Meals seem to be a big part of the culture here and can last for hours in large part because the waiters don't rush you out in anticipation of the next guest.  I have enjoyed eating out with all the ‘grown-ups’ this past week, but think I had as much fun with the kids cupcake outing.  It always makes me smile when my (German) friends say, “I check your blog often to see where we should visit on the weekend in Germany…You know more places than we do and I have lived here all my life”.  In their defense, they HAVE lived here all there life and therefore live their life in a different manner.  Just like we did in Alabama.  I used to be amazed at the Germans coming over to work for MB...they would drive and visit places --ALL of the U.S. FOR THE WEEKEND!!!!  I forgot how fun adventures could be for us all.  Speaking of adventures, that is just what my friend and I did this past Monday-we took our kids on a ‘Cupcake adventure’.  As I was telling my friend about the Cupcake Cafe, I said in the typical Southern way, “ We will have to go there sometime..”  I am finding the usual German response is, “ok, how about next Monday?”  It is different here in the fact you don’t get a vague response, “we should get together”…Nope, if you mention getting together, it is PLANNED!! I love it!  

Playing after their "sugar rush
I am so excited because the "Tour de Hoff House" is beginning this week and will last over the next 6 weeks with various visitors from around the world.  As much as I am enjoying Germany, I miss my family and friends and feel like a kid at Christmas now that "Visiting season" begins.  I am sure I will have many new places to post about over the next 6 weeks.  

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad friends and family are starting to come over! The cupcake place sounds great! Gigi's opened up here in Midtown and they must weigh a pound a piece not to mention about 550 calories! :) Enjoy your company and I look forward to reading about your adventures together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we will have to go to that place when we visit!!!:)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>