9/26/11

German translator...

I am not sure what was more energizing for me today; Finding a fabulously unique store in Stuttgart, or being "asked" to help translate some English to German. 

The energizing moment came about in a store I stumbled upon last night while browsing on Lonely Planet's "Things to Do in Stuttgart".   On their list it mentioned what turned out to be a very 'fun' store full of bags. (I have to use that adjective when I can because it really isn't used in this manner in the German language)  Even better, it was in a trendy shopping area downtown that was an unexplored territory to me.  But look out Christopher Columbus because I have fallen in love with finding "new territories" to explore since moving to Stuttgart! 

 The past week, I have been on a quest for a "book bag" to lug around all of my German school books and homework.  Today I purchased one very festive (and fun) book bag at "Tausche." (http://www.tausche.de/index.php?lang=en ) All of their "made in Germany" Tachen have interchangeable "flaps" (or covers auf English) that are easy to switch and make my book bag appear to me more like a party than school work.  When you purchase a bag, the price includes two free flaps.  However, for me, deciding on just two was much harder than my German Grammar homework because the wall of flaps on display are all marvelous.  I think I may like my new book bag as much as I liked my 70's 'wooden-handled purses with the covers that buttoned on the handle. 
My Tausche with "Flap" number 1
Same bag with "flap" number two
Opened in 1723!!!
 The second energizing thing that took place in my world today; I was asked to help translate English to German.  Even though I wasn't as successful finding the kids a school thermos at my favorite store, Tritschler (which opened in 1723), I was proud of being able to communicate my needs completely in German.  I know I write about my speaking German often, but if you understood the storm that happens in my head when you combine my brain and a foreign language, it would be clear why I write about these small accomplishments so often!   To be asked to help translate from English to German would be unthinkable if the sales clerk had known me a tad better.  But, as I was leaving the store two women walked up to the clerk I had been working with and asked in English, "How much is this?"...As we met eyes, hers cried out to mine, "what the heck are they saying?"  Without skipping a beat, I translated the ladies English words into PERFECT GERMAN!  Well, maybe that is an adjective that I should not use when describing my German.....

2 comments:

  1. Yeah for you!!! That is so great and I LOVE the bag! Very cute! Can't wait to see you next week! Can't believe it is coming up so soon! Love, m:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The requirements of translation that are needed at some time while traveling during an educational tour.

    english german translator

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>