3/27/12

Experiencing it all in Germany


 Before we moved to Germany, I made a promise to myself that I would see and do as much as possible while we lived abroad in an attempt to experience all Germany had to offer.  I am re-thinking that promise. 

Little did I know I would be experiencing a "highly contagious infectious disease that is notifiable in Germany" called "KERATOCONJUNCTIVITIS EPIDEMICA".  Yes, it originally tricked me into thinking it was an “American friend” meeting me in Washington wanting to travel back with me to experience Germany, but have now learned that it has an incubation time from 2 to 12 days and he wanted to go with me to the States. 

Well, this little “friend” of mine has not toured or experienced much of anything the past 5 weeks except the Ophthalmologist for scheduled measurements of my eye pressure and the nummuli on my corneas.  Because he is camping out on my corneas, he has not been able to read the guide books, watch German television or view much of anything that will add to his experiences.  He has listened to many hours of WebRadio, especially Amy’sFMVintage which I strongly recommend.  Link for "Amy's FM Vintage Radio"

Many of our friends and family asked for us to explain more about this UNWELCOME guest, which has been difficult as we are also trying to better understand him and his ways.  Now that the doctors have educated us, I can give you a better introduction……

According to the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI)
  • EKC is an infection of the ocular surface caused by adenoviruses.
  • Persons with EKC suffer for three to six weeks from an intense foreign body sensation, pain, reduced visual acuity, and often a general feeling of being unwell.
  • EKC can be followed by the development of corneal opacities, called nummuli, which may persist for months.
  • Visual impairment can persist for months because of these nummuli and irregular astigmatism.
  • Highly resistant to environmental influences and can survive contact with many available types of disinfectant.
  • There are still no effective drug treatments for this disease.
  • 316 cases were diagnosed in Germany in the first 8 months of 2010, corresponding to a 300% increase above the typical figures for recent years.
My vision is still not great and viewing the computer monitor is still uncomfortable.  However, my determination is back in full force as I prepare for my next Ophthalmologist appointment.  OK--so it may take me 3 days to slowly write a post, or longer to even respond to an email, but everyday I fight to take back a little bit of my eyes and energy back from this little pest, knowing that in the next few weeks my vision and desire to experience everything (non-viral) that Germany has to offer will return.  

2 comments:

  1. YAY!!!!!! I am so glad things are getting better!!! I have been thinking of you and sending prayers your way! I am so sorry you had to experience this, but you are so strong and you will make it through!!! So glad to see you back on your blog!!! love,m:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your stamina and determination are two of your strongest traits. I really can't beleive that you're going through this especially at this time. Remember you're loved. We're praying for you. I miss you so much and I wish I could make this font bigger. ;) You're far stronger than any virus.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>