6/15/12

Fashion Faux Pas

I am sure it isn't the first time in my life I have walked out of my house wearing a FFP, or  'Fashion Faux Pas' for long, but today was the first time I ever remember doing it in a state of full knowledge.

I decided I was not going to let doctor's appointments or  German school get in the way of exercising anymore and therefore would be squeezing a run in today.  Dilemma; I would need to commit a necessary cultural FFP.  And it didn't go unnoticed!

As I walked around in my sport clothes, running shoes and cap, I received one of many, "du siehst sehr sportlich heute" (you look very sporty today) I even got a big laugh when one of my classmates acted like he had forgotten something in his car, ran back outside,  then returned to class sporting a ball cap and greeting us with a good ole' American "Morning". 

Even though this was my typical outfit many days a week in Alabama, due to a mid-morning run or a tennis match, (Heck, we would even all meet in our sweaty clothes and baseball caps at a local restaurant for a quick lunch after our sports), you just don't see it where I live in Germany unless someone is actually going to 'do' sports.

There are many cultures differences between Germany and America that I am learning, understanding and try to respect. It doesn't mean either are right or wrong...just different based on many factors.   Since moving here in Germany, I have tried to follow this unwritten fashion 'norm' ...until today.  I found that it brought me a day full of laughter, and some astonishment (see tomorrow's post about my quant run)  Goes to show that sometimes in  life a Fashion Faux Pas can bring rewards.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Kirstin, I am testing my post to see if it goes through to you. Is this a FauxPas too?

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>