12/2/10

the way the snow goes....

I don't even know where to begin with this post...it was defiantly a transitional Day...

It is still snowing.
Kids did not get up for 2 hours during the night.  Hope this means we are starting to say Goodbye to jet lag-YEA. Jason got up early so he could drive to the house to meet the movers while I anxiously waited for the kids to wake up (wink-wink).  We were to drive to the house to meet him.  I not only did not grow up driving in snow but I wasn't allowed to drive in snow even if it was a dusting.  Well, this morning not only was I supposed to drive 25 minutes to our new house it was snowing.  Which meant I had to conquer one of my first days driving the small streets and autobahn with snow and ice.  Yes...they clean the Autobahn very nicely but the opposite is true for the smaller streets.  Long story short, I delayed our departure by 2 hours due to my fear AND blamed it on the kids taking too long to get ready and eat breakfast.  I survived and am quite proud of myself.  (During the drive today Karina kept saying, "mommy, why are you crying"

My second obstacle of the day.....Walking in below 20 degrees and learning cold weather and tears don't mix....your eyelashes freeze.  Let's just say it took me over an hour (not including walk time) to shop bakery and grocery just for our lunch.  Not only did the people not understand my German, they didn't speak English.  I was proud because I kept trying...however all the people behind me WERE NOT PROUD.  To make matters worse, I spilled my whole wallet of Euro coins and all the 'not proud of me Germans' had to help me pick up 60 coins.  I cried the whole way home wondering how I was going to grocery shop for all of our meals if I couldn't conquer lunch. 

So, I have to go ahead and follow that up with my walk with Rocky. Tonight I take Rocky for his nightly walk in "Winter Wonderland" when I notice he is standing at attention (he is off leash). Yep, he made a little German friend.  The whole time they played, I had a nice conversation in GERMAN with a kind gentleman that didn't speak English.  He even said, " Sie sprechen sehr gute Deutsch."  Ha-take that grocery people. 

Anyway, on to the house.  The movers were fantastic today.  Karina and Cooper were even better.  They played in a little keeping room off of our kitchen while we unpacked for almost 8 hours-no fights, no whining, and no asking us for anything. We met a very nice man that lives behind us. He had lived there for 40 years!  He even brought us a cd of his Jazz band-it is there 5th cd. 

Me behind the wheel....

Kids loving all the food here in Germany

Our Christmas tree in the hotel room

Rocky (white eyes) on nightly 11 degree walk!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>