2/6/11

I'm not so brave....

She did not have Courage...
I find it humorous how many emails I have received commenting on how brave I am (referring to our move to Germany).  Because, I am anything but.....I may "exhibit courage" but I tell you, BRAVE-I AM NOT.  There are some  many things that can cause my heart rate to quicken and stomach to hit the floor.   Two such things happened today.  However,  I had to "exhibit courage" for my children's sake....
He has much Courage!

Huge 50 acre Green area
 We decided to head to Killesberg Park for our Sunday Family outing.  It is a 50 acres green area/park which was created in the 1930's on an old Quarry site.    


Right off the bat, within the first 30 minutes of our departure, my heart started racing and I felt nervous.  The best way I can explain this 'Kirstin' phenomenon, is in "Alabama terms"  It is a feeling I often experienced when driving down the Interstate ....a bit .....a little.... ok, much faster than the speed limit posted.  I am singing to the music, when to my right, I notice a state trooper hiding on the side of the road.  My heart drops...then races....I grip the steering wheel tighter thinking this will stop them from getting me...I start formulating a million excuses for speeding, and then finally all settles down to normal when I realize he isn't coming after me.  Today, here in Germany, it was a similar feeling.   However, it wasn't an Alabama State trooper that made my heart race, it was the "SchwarzFahren Polizei"  When we were waiting for the train, I noticed the three men in their black outfits waiting to board the train. I immediately had a funny feeling in my stomach, even though we had tickets.  For some reason, I decided to take a picture of them in anticipation of things to come.  I pretended like I was taking a picture of the traffic and they never noticed the picture being snapped of them-or maybe they did......
SchwarzFahren Polizei

Sure enough, they got on our train and announced loudly "Fahrer Schein, Bitte" which means, get out your tickets please.  Well, if you remember in a post a few days ago, this month, I am traveling on a free month train ticket thanks to the SSB.  When "Mr. Polizei "made his way to us, he stood studying our 2 "free month tickets", and Karina's ticket which we had purchased (Cooper rides free). Then my heart starts that "Alabama" racing.   He then states in German ---that these tickets are not correct because we haven't filled out our information (address and phone number).  He hands Jason a pen and makes him fill them out right on the spot.  At this point I look around and all the other train passengers are watching us ( probably thinking we had been caught for "Black riding")   Now my heart is really racing-even though we didn't do anything wrong.  Jason hands back the now properly filled out Month passes.   The Polizei frows his eyebrows, studies the tickets and says, "Ausweis" (ID) OK, I MEAN REALLY????  WHY would I bring my driver's license if I am riding on a train?!?!?!? Jason looks at me and ask for my German license.  I look back at him unable to speak (I think I forgot to mention when we were walking to the train station and were halfway there, Cooper exclaims, "I have to go potty". ... So, he and I walk back home and I make the decision to ditch my purse-including my license) Finally, my voice comes back and I tell Jason, "I don't have my license, but I do have my bank debit card"  Jason gives me that grin (that always tells me "honey, I really love you), looks at the Polizei and explains "My wife has her bank card, will this work" He then studied my EC Card, and decided we were in fact the "Hoffs".  And to think I was excited about not have to look over my shoulder for Alabama troopers for a few years....


42 Foot Tower

looks easy from here..

heading up..up...up

Jason and Cooper headed to the top
My second lack of bravery occured with good reason.  It was such a pretty day (notice the lack of snow clothing and snow) One of the many things to do at Killesberg, is to climb a 42-foot observation tower which boosts "great views of the city.

The kids were 'gung-ho' to climb this "too tall for mom's pleasure" tower.  So, I put my big-girl-pants on and started climbing the numerous steps with the rest of my family.  As we ascended higher, I began to feel the sway of the structure....first of many stomach drops....but I continued to smile since my children were all smiles.  Thank goodness Cooper wanted to take a break on the first level to "rest", it gave me a chance to look for my courage that had run away on the first floor.  A few pictures were taken, then off to the next level with much more swaying!  Once of the second level, Karina decided she didn't want to go any higher because the tower may fall.  "Exhibiting my courage", I offered to take Cooper up higher if he wanted while Jason stayed with Karina(she is a daddy's girl).  HA-why did I even think he would say no?!?  So off we went....one step, two step, three step.....I squeeze Cooper's hand and say, "WAIT".  (Heart is pounding but the stomach isn't on the ground, it is behind my eyeballs)  I immediately turned around and looked down to Jason and said, "Honey, I think Cooper would REALLY like it BETTER if daddy got to go up to the top with him"  Yep, that one put me over my "exhibits courage" level for the day.  We then headed to the animal meadow (good thing Cooper didn't understand the sign that read, "no feeding the animals") and the very crowded playground.  This spring we will visit again when the flowers are blooming, train is running, pool is open as well as all four Biergartens (and hopefully all our upcoming guests will be more than happy to take Cooper to the top of the tower:)


"Please don't feed"

Cooper doesn't read German....or English for that matter
Cooper on Slide, but Karina prefers rocks...

A "trampoline" of sorts...

Cooper is determined to get on top of this ball!

1 comment:

  1. I know I would react the same way u did on the train. And I am positive that u are one of the bravest people I know! Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>