2/21/11

Landsmuseum Stuttgart

"Who is he?"
Landsmuseum Stuttgart
Just a little crown....


Sunday was a cold, wet and snowy day, so our family outing headed straight to a warm indoor spot- Landsmuseum Stuttgart.  We haven’t had a peep of snow the past few weeks, and my body has De-sensitized itself to the cold and white stuff.  I must say, it has been nice walking to the train station without snow –not that I don’t like waddling around like a penguin.  We began our walk to the U-Bahn station with the snow kissing our eyeballs and beginning to cover the ground.  Even with the snow, we arrived with 4 minutes to spare before the our train.  That was obviously 4 minutes too long for Jason to sit still, so he started playing “hide from the kids”.  Unfortunately, hiding on the elevator is not always a smart thing to do if it runs very slow and the doors open at a snail's pace.  I guess Jason figured this out as we were inside the train waving “bye” to daddy who was inside the elevator waiting for the doors to open.  Note to the fathers out there-DON’T PLAY HIDE-N-SEEK ON THE ELEVATOR WITHIN 1 MINUTE OF THE TRAIN ARRIVING….the next train is usually ten minutes behind and your children will be upset that you were left behind.   
"Why does he have a sword?"

Once we all reunited at the Old Castle of Stuttgart, that now houses the museum, we were able to begin our tour.  As I tried to decipher the Map of each floor, Jason was already touring the numerous Württemberg Crown Jewels on display.  The kids were absolutely fascinated by all of the jewels, swords and “trinkets”.  To the point, I couldn’t answer all of their questions fast enough- “Why did they wear crowns?....Where is the King now?...What does Rich mean?...Are there Kings and Queens now?....What do they look like?  Why was there war?-on and on the questions went (daddy seemed to be playing hide n seek again as I was getting pounded with questions)  I was beginning to think we were not going to make it to the other three floors of the museum.  


"Why is that sword so long?"




Cost savings-they would change the stone in the ring...
 Next, we headed up to the 3rd floor to the “Kid's museum.”  We walked around for all of one minute before they proclaimed they wanted to leave the Kid's museum to see MORE of the other part of the museum.  I think Jason and I were both shocked.  The next 1 ½ hours contained more questions than I thought humanly possible out of a 5 and 6 year old AND more creative answers than I thought possible out of their mother! 



  Little did I know, the questions were going to get harder when we reached the exhibit of artifacts "2000 BEFORE Christ"-“How did the people die?”…Was your grandmother alive then?”…“Why did they leave a skull in the ground?”… “Why were there dogs but not dinosaurs?”… “Why did they have so many bowls?”…“Were we born then?”...”Who found all this stuff if it was in the ground?”…”Can we get something to eat now?”
At this point, I was asking, "Why do I do this to myself...."why not just stay home and read my book already?"  When I was completely depleted of answers, we headed back up to the Children’s Musuem to give my head a quick break and Jason time to play one more game of hide-n-seek, before walking out into the snow to catch the train back home...together!

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic - that the kids are so interested!! You do an amazing job taking them to the historic places and museums!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Imagine their Thanksgiving dinners decades from now and the conversations. How wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>