2/19/11

Pfannkuchen



I can thank Karina for helping to create my newest addiction- Pfannkuchen (not to be confused with Crepes).  One day she asked, "Mom, can you buy some of the little pancakes with Nutella that my friends bring to school for lunch?"  I am constantly hunting for 'German' foods that would be good for school lunch, Karina's request seemed like an easy one to me...until I started searching for them in the market.  There are ‘children friendly foods’ here in Germany that my friends buy and feed their children.(Spaetzle, various mild fresh cheese, meat slices, wursts, Maltaschen and wide variety fresh grain breads)  However, Karina and Cooper seem to be slowly developing a new palate for these specialties.

 Since I AM LIVING IN ANOTHER COUNTRY,  I shouldn't still be surprised at how different the foods are compared to what you find in the U.S. grocery stores.  I tell you, it is great not to be tempted, like I am in the U.S. grocery store, to just purchase “easiness”. I don’t find myself walking down isle after isle (which include a ton of junk foods) reading the labels that exclaim, “cooks in 2 minutes”.  This is especially true when I cruise the ONE isle in the frozen section here in Germany.  I haven’t seem to have found my favorite island, “FROZEN FOOD LAND” here in the market carrying thousands of options for any type of frozen meal. Nope, only one isle of frozen food here and it is stocked mostly with pizza. 

I have now learned on my hunt for pancakes, you will not find; any type of "pre-made" pancake mix like 'Aunt Jemima', any type of frozen breakfast waffle or pancakes.  I should also admit with this discovery, I don't know how to make pancake batter here in Germany.  It is crazy how intimidated I am by the variances of cooking here in my German kitchen.  At home, I could make the BEST homemade pancakes that included a little pureed pumpkin or carrots that went unnoticed by all.  I am sure it is easy here as well, but all of my recipes for pancake batter call for "all -purpose flour".  (I am sure I have mentioned I can not purchase All-purpose flour here in the stores)   So, my new German philosophy- buy anything that looks similar and try it out.  Unfortunately, my philosophy has me hooked on these Pfannkuchens.  I am not sure how you are REALLY supposed to prepare.  But I have found they are yummy with ANY filling. They are my favorite little “2 point plus” treats. (yes I still track Weight Watcher points here in Germany)

  In case you find these in a Grocery Store near you......
My favorite ‘Pfannkuch concoctions’:
Breakfast- warmed in microwave, filled with a touch of cinnamon and butter then rolled. 
Lunch-warmed, filled with any fresh cheese and Black Forest ham
Afternoon snack-warmed, filled with Nutella and smashed banana.


2 comments:

  1. Type 550 flour is "all-purpose" and I've found it here at REWE. It's more expensive than the 450 which is really baking/cake flour and thinner -- but it will still work for pancakes.

    You can also find the flour online very worst case. And there are some instant pancake batters around that you just add water and shake...but they're really not on the same level as the American stuff.

    Just realized I still haven't posted my pancake recipe. We just might have to have pancakes tomorrow so I can finally remedy that!

    By the way, you can make extra pancakes or waffles and freeze them yourself...quick and inexpensive breakfast just like back in the States. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1 cup ( I mean a real coffee cup)of flour, 2 eggs, 1 cup of milk, a dash of salt. Ready to go!!!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>