2/24/11

When will Spring come to Germany








I fell for it AGAIN; I thought spring was around the corner here in Germany.  But what was really lurking around the corner was another 24 hours of snow.  This time, the flowers popping up in our yard were the culprit of my brief “stupidity”. I was so out of the “snow head” that I felt silly explaining to the teacher at school, “Sorry we are so late…forgot how long it takes to de-frost my car and shovel the snow off of the sidewalk!”  Funny that I also just realized that our first two months here, my alarm clock was the neighbors snow shovel scraping the pavement at 6:00 AM.

In my defense, I have spent the last 18 years in Alabama where spring begins to wave hello around this time of year.  I often began mowing our yard the beginning of March to get rid of the dead grass and make room for the pretty little green sprouts.  So, it MUST be normal for my body to expect and want “Frühling” to come now.  So, as I sit here contemplating building a fire, I envy my friends in Alabama enjoying the mid 70s and earlier this week 80s.  However, I have figured out a remedy to my spring fever; Head out to the yard and laugh as I tell my new little blooms, “My friends in Alabama will not be laughing at us freezing our butt off come May.  Nope, it will be so hot there by the first week of June, my new little flowers, you would be fried. Nope, we will be enjoying having flowers blooming all summer, no humidity, sitting outside in July/August without looking like we just jumped out of the pool and uhmm…have no air-conditioner.”

1 comment:

  1. you have the right idea...everyone in the southeast part of the U.S. will have terrible heat and humidity in june and july and you'll be sitting pretty!:) i just read the post about taking the kids to the museum in stuttgart...kids are amazing with what they come up with:)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>