3/4/11

Fashing


BOO!!!  Did I scare you?  Well that is exactly what most Germans will be doing the next few days…wearing costumes while trying to scare winter away.  This week is a HUGE holiday time in Germany called, “FASHING”.  In many parts of Germay, schools are out for the holiday week beginning tomorrow.  It is easy, as American, to think of this holiday to be a “German Halloween”.  It is not.  There isn’t door-to-door trick or treating for candy nor is it based on the same principles.  There ARE many costumes. 


This holiday started in the 1200’s and has developed over the years with the first written record of the Köln carnival documented from the year 1341. Every since I pulled the notice out of the Karina & Cooper's backpack, which detailed all of the school's celebrations, I have been trying to get my “arms around” this holiday. (and I still don't have it all figured out)  When I found this quote on the Internet, I couldn’t help but laugh, “Fashing is the one time of year when many normally staid Germans (and Austrians and Swiss) loosen up and go a little crazy.”  (FINALLY, a week I will ‘fit in’ since I tend to run on the little ‘crazy’ side of life)  Fashing week coincides with on the date of Ostern (Easter).  I have to say, even though I don’t really understand it all , the funniest part of this holiday was yesterday.  Jason came down in the morning for work in his suit and quickly explained to me why he wasn't wearing a tie,“My Secretary told me not to wear a tie today because this Thursday (the Thursday before Ash Wednesday ) is known as "Weiberfastnacht", or "Women's carnival night".   The tradition dictates that women are allowed to cut off the tie of any man within reach...AND THEY DO".  Here are a few pictures form the celebrations at school.  Of course, our little Cooper insisted on being dressed as “NOTHING”…so here is Karina as “Minnie Mouse”, and Cooper as “Nothing”.  I was proud of my little “Nothing” because to me, he was “something” in sticking to his decision despite everyone else dressing up today.  
Our little Cooper as "Nothing"

Two Minnie Mice..

2 comments:

  1. very cute! Love cooper as "nothing"! Good for him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea! We should embrace Fashing here too!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>