3/5/11

German lessons from a 20 month old...



Arrival Day

The last 24 hours, I have been walking around with an effervescent glow on my face.  I am so happy have some of our family visiting with us in our new German home. Now that they are here, I realize how much I really miss my family and friends. Missing them is the hardest part of living abroad.  I have to commend my niece and her husband---I never thought they would be one of our first guest since it involved traveling over seas with a 20 month old baby-enough said.

I have also realized in the last 24 hours; a 20 month old can tour Germany with a whole different aspect than adults. Xavier has taught me many important things since landing in Germany... my best lesson from him so far-if something puzzles you and you don't seem to have the words for it-just sing, "A...beeee..C, Deeee, E-F-G..."  I think I may start using this when my German translation doesn't seem to be going so good...it would probably go like this.....

Metzgerei-"was wollen Sie. Wie viele Leute essen heute Abend. Ich muss mich beeilen, weil es eine lange Schlange hinter Ihnen ..."

ME- "Ummmm.......A...B..C,..DEFG..."

He taught me a few other lessons today;
  • live life one minute at a time and have fun
  • every time you see something beautiful- exclaim, “CHEESE” (which meant take a picture)  Why don’t we adults yell-CHEESE when we see something pretty?  
  • Never complain about obvious jet lag-just have fun and smile
  • when climbing 300 steps thru the wine vineyard,  take numerous breaks or ask for a ride
  • don't whine if you aren't served lunch until 3:00 p.m.
  • wave and say "Hi" when passing people on the street-it will make them smile
  • never look at the clock before taking a hour long nap and don't worry if you aren't comfortable
  • stop and have ice cream after touring and enjoy all aspects of our tours
While learning these lessons from a 20 month old, we were able to tour the charming German town, Esslingen.  It is a short drive from our house thru the winding vineyards.  First settled in 777, it suffered very little damage during WWII, and therefore most of the medieval appearance has been preserved.  Because it is located on the Neckar River, walking around the town is breathtaking (especially when walking up the 300 steps to the Esslinger Burg) In the Altstadt (Old Town) you can view many German half-timbered houses, a glockenspiel from 1591, along with various historic buildings.  The Markplatz was dotted with energy and cafes, which is exactly how Xavier decided to end our tour.   

It helps to have a ride


Little breaks always help

Are we at the top yet?



Now that I made it to the top-time for a rest



View from the top
t
I must now go pack for our next adventure.  We are heading to the Black Forest for a long weekend.  No telling what I will learn in the Black-Forest from a 20 month ...
Glockenspiel




Some can always find a new friend
Stadtkirche

3 comments:

  1. How brave of them to fly with Xavier. :) Your energy is amazing! While your taking the "tour de food" don't forget to scope out the gluten free options. I guess step one is figuring out how to say gluten free in German. Good luck with that! I miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!! I am so happy you have some family there to visit you. It is so hard live so far away from friends and family! Have a great time!!! I hope they have some time to rest and re-coop! Flying with a toddler is VERY challenging!! It always takes me about a week of recovery!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great times! So happy that u have family with u!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>